Giant Resin Bee laying eggs in bee nest box in Calvert Co., Maryland

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25, 2008

      I received the email below.  If anyone is interested in rearing out or looking at the biology of this invasive...its sounds like Carla would be glad to send you the nests.

      Sometimes a scream is better than a thesis.
             -Ralph Waldo Emerson
      ----- Forwarded by Sam Droege/BRD/USGS/DOI on 08/25/2008 11:32 AM -----
      Carla Porter <carlaevporter@...>

      08/25/2008 10:49 AM

      sdroege@...
      cc
      Subject
      Giant Resin Bee laying eggs in bee nest box in Calvert Co., Maryland

      Hi Sam,

      I think this is a Giant Resin Bee who has laid eggs in at least two (maybe three) holes within my bee box within the last couple of days.  I was excited when I first saw this new bee using my bee box, but I soon became depressed after I learned it may be the primary pollinator for a non-native invasive plant species that is present in several locations within my neighborhood...Kudzu!  However, my husband claims he hasn't seen any Kudzu flowers blooming yet.

      My question for you is, are you or anyone else interested in obtaining my occupied bee box for research purposes?  There are a few occupied holes in the bee box, used by various species of wasps, maybe some bees.

      Let me know, Carla.

      [attachment "BeeBox-GiantResinBee1.JPG" deleted by Sam Droege/BRD/USGS/DOI] [attachment "BeeBox-GiantResinBee2.JPG" deleted by Sam Droege/BRD/USGS/DOI]