Triplehorn Guide to the Pronunciation of insect names.

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 15, 2008

      John Morse passed on the following note about pronunciation of scientific names...I will get a copy of John's lecture and track down a copy of Triplehorn and go through the guide with this more insect-centric approach...sam

      -------

      Via, John Morse....

      A guide for pronunciation is also on pages 58-59 of the following, which is somewhat abbreviated from a similar guide in previous editions:

      Triplehorn, CA, and NF Johnson.  2005.  Borror and DeLong’s Introduction to the Study of Insects, 7 th Edition.  Thompson Brooks/Cole, Belmont, California.  864 pp.

      Consistent with this guide, earlier editions (but not this one) also provided an acute or grave accent (indicating short or long vowel sound) over the vowel of the accented syllable for every scientific name in the book.

      Following this guide, I have taught (and tested in final exams) pronunciation of scientific names for 30 years in my taxonomy and systematics courses here at Clemson.  If anyone is interested in the 267-KB PowerPoint version of that 7-slide lecture (with lecture notes), please ask.

      John

      John C. Morse, PhD
      Professor Emeritus of Entomology and Director Emeritus,
      Clemson University Arthropod Collection (CUAC)
      Department of Entomology, Soils, and Plant Sciences
      Clemson University
      Long Hall
      Box 340315
      Clemson, SC 29634-0315