Re: [beemonitoring] draft North American Pronunciation Guide to the Genera of Bees

  • Jamese_Hemsley@nps.gov
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 14, 2008
      Hey. Sam.

      I have a Pronunciation Guide now that's doesn't have the names crossed out.

      Thanks.
      JH

      Jamese_Hemsley@nps
      .gov To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
      Sent by: cc: (bcc: Jamese Hemsley/NACE/NPS)
      beemonitoring@yaho Subject: Re: [beemonitoring] draft North American Pronunciation Guide to the Genera of
      ogroups.com Bees

      08/14/2008 05:16
      PM AST
      Please respond to
      beemonitoring

      Hey. Sam,

      Is there a Pronunciation Guide that don't have all the names crossed out as
      viewed on your attachment or is this something that is retrievable from the
      web.

      Thanks.
      Jamese H.

      Sam Droege
      <sdroege@...> To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
      Sent by: cc: (bcc: Jamese Hemsley/NACE/NPS)
      beemonitoring@yaho Subject: [beemonitoring] draft North American Pronunciation
      Guide to the Genera of
      ogroups.com Bees

      08/13/2008 04:30
      PM AST
      Please respond to
      beemonitoring

      All:

      Below is an expanded file that was created a number of years ago as an aid in
      scientific name pronunciation. It was meant to reflect what was more or less the
      common way to pronounce names in North America...or really in the U.S. since those

      were the people consulted. Originally, it was just a guide to eastern North
      America, but recently Faith Kuehn reminded me t hat I hadn't included this file in

      the Handy Bee Manual and that it was useful to those just starting out.

      I believe the Spanish speaking countries have a very different method of
      pronouncing scientific names and that there may be differences in Canada too. My
      thought would be to keep the guide to English pronunciation and note differences
      between Canada and the U.S. where applicable.

      Since for many of the western genera I have no real experience with pronouncing
      their names out loud I have used my experience with eastern species as a guide as
      well as the information pulled off the web at the very bottom on pronunciation.

      I am looking for corrections or feedback from anyone who cares to contribute, so,
      if you have time please check the list below.

      Thanks.

      sam

      P.S. Some of the formating is off in this email, but will be repaired in the final

      document.

      Eastern Bee Genera (and Selected Subgenera) Pronunciation Guide

      Created: Fall 2003 – Modified Summer 2008

      This pronunciation guide is designed to help the beginning bee biologist. What are

      presented appears to be the most commonly underst ood pronunciation of the bee
      genera (and a few subgenera) in North America. You can expect to hear a number of
      differing pronunciations as you talk with researchers and taxonomists, as
      pronunciation is governed by culture rather than set rules. Suggestions for
      changes or additions are encouraged and can be sent to Sam Droege (
      sdroege@...).

      Acanthopus /a-CAN-tho-puss/

      Agapanthinus /aguh-PAN-thin-us

      Agapostemon /ag-uh-PAHST-eh-mon/

      Agapostemonoides /aguh-pahst-em-OH-noy-dees/

      Aglae /AG-lee/

      Aglaomelissa /ag-lay-oh-mel-ISS-uh/

      Ancylandrena /ann-sill-ann-DREE-nuh/

      Ancyloscelis /ann-sill-oh-SELL-iss/

      Andinaugochlora /ann-din-aug-oh-KLOR-uh/

      Andrena /ann-DREE-nuh/

      Anthedonia /ann-theh-DOE-knee-yuh/

      Anthemurgus /ann-theh-MURG-us/

      Anthidiellum /ann-thid-e-ELL-um/

      Anthodioctes /ann-thoh-dee-OCK-tees/

      Anthidium /ann-THID-ee-yum/

      Anthophora /ann-THAH-for-uh/

      Apis /A-piss/

      Ashmeadiella /ASH-mead-ee-el-uh/

      Atoposmia - /ate-op-oz-meeuh/

      Augochlora /awe-go-KLOR-uh/

      Augochlorella /awe-go-klor-EL-uh/

      < SPAN style="COLOR: black;">Augochloropsis /awe-go-klor-OP-sis/

      Aztecanthidium /Az-tech-ann-THID-ee-yum/

      Bombus /BOM-bus/

      Brachynomada /bracky-no-MOD-duh/

      Caenaugochlora /s een-aug-oh-KLOR-uh/

      Caenohalictus /seen-oh-hal-ICK-tus/

      Calliopsis /cal-LEE-op-sis/

      Caupolicana /kaup-po-LIH-can-uh/

      Cemolobus /sea-moh-LOW-bus/

      Centris /SEN-tris/

      Ceratina /sera-TIE-nuh/

      Chelostoma /chel-AHST-oh -mah/

      Cephalotrigona /seph-al-oh-trig-OH-nuh/

      Chlerogella /clair-oh-GELL-uh/

      Chilicola /chill-LICK-oh-luh/

      Coelioxoides /sealy-ox-OID-ees/

      Coelioxys /sealy-OX-ees/

      Colletes /koh-LEE-teez/

      Conanthalictus /koh-nanth-hal-ICK-tuss/

      Crawfordapis /kraw-ford-A-piss/

      Ctenioschelus /ten-eeoh-SHELL-us/

      Deltoptila /delt-OH-till-uh/

      Diadasia /die-uh-DAY-zeeuh

      Dialictus /die-uh-LICK-tuss/

      Dianthidium /die-ann-THID-ee-um/

      Dieunomia /die-u-NOH-mee-uh/

      Dinagapostemon /dine-ag-uh-PAHST-eh-mon/

      Dioxys /die-OX-eez/

      Doeringiella /dew-er-rinj-ee-EL-uh/

      Dolichostelis /dole-ih-koe-STEEL-iss/

      Duckeanthidium /duck-ee-ann-THID-ee-um/

      Dufourea /dew-four-EE-uh/

      Epanthidium /epp-ann-THID-ee-um/

      Epeoloides /e-pee-oh-LLOYD-eez/

      Epeolus /e-pee-OH-lus/

      Epicharis /EPI-care-us/

      Ericrocis /air-ih-KROE-sis/

      Eucera /u-SIR-uh/

      Eufriesea /u-FREE-jee-uh/

      Eulaema /u-LEE-ma/

      Eulonchopria /u-lon-chaw-PREE-uh/

      Evylaeus < /FONT>/ev-uh-LEE-us/

      Exaerete /ex-ee-RAY-tee/

      Exomalopsis /ex-oh-mal-LOP-sis/

      Florilegus /flor-ih-LEG-us/

      Frieseomelitta /freeze-e e-oh-mel-IT-tuh/

      Gaesischia /jee-sish-SHEE-uh/

      Geotrigona /jee-oh-trig-OH-nuh/

      Habralictus /hab-rah-LICK-tuss/

      Habropoda /hab-roh-PODA/

      Halictus /ha-LICK-tuss/

      -ee-hah-LICK-tuss/

      Heriades /her-EYE-ah-deez/

      Hesperapis /hes-per-A-piss/

      Heterosarus /het-er-o-SAUR-us/

      Hexepeolus /hex-ee-PEE-oh-lus/

      Holcopasites /hole-koe-pah-SITE-eez/

      Hoplitis /hop-LIE-tuss/

      Hoplostelis /hop-low-STEE-liss/

      Hylaeus /hi-LEE-us/

      Hypanthidioides /hi-pan-thid-EE-oid-eez/

      Hypanthidium /hi-pan-thid-EE-um/

      Lasioglossum /laz-ee-oh-GLOSS-um/

      Leiopodus /lee-ee-oh-pod-us/

      trih-mel-IT-tuh/

      Lithurge /LIH-thurj/

      Macropis /ma-CROW-piss/

      Macrotera /ma-CROW-terr-uh/

      Martinapis /mar-TIN-a-piss/

      Megachile /meg-uh-KILE-ee/

      Megalopta /meg-uh-LOP-tah/

      Megaloptilla /meg-uh-lop-TILL-uh/

      Megandrena /meg-ann-DREE-nuh/

      Megommation /meg-ohm-MAY-shun/

      Melecta /mel-LECK-tuh/< /FONT>

      Melissodes /mel-ih-SOH-deez/

      Melissoptila /mel-lis-SOP-till-uh/

      Melipona /mel-LIH-poe-nuh/

      Melitoma /mel-lih-TOE-mah/

      Melitta /mel-IT-tuh/

      Meliwillea /mel-lih-WILL-eeuh/

      Mesocheira /meez-oh-KEER-uh/

      Mesoplia /meez-oh-PLEE-uh/

      Mesoxaea /meez-ox-EE-uh/

      Metapsaenythia /met-uh-see-NEE-thee-uh/

      Mexalictus /mex-al-LICK-tus/

      Micralictoides /mike-crugh-lick-TOY-deez/

      Microsphecodes /mike-crow-SFECK-code-eez/

      Monoeca /mon-EE-kuh/

      Mydrosoma /my-droh-SOH-muh/

      Nanorhathymus /nan-oh-rath-THIGH-mus/

      Nannotrigona /nan-oh-trig-GOH-nuh/

      Neocorynura /knee-oh-CORY-nur-uh/

      Neolarra /knee-oh-LAIR-uh/

      Neopasites /knee-oh-pass-EYE-teez /

      Nesosphecodes /knee-zoh-sfeck-O-deez /

      Nogueirapis /nog-yew-ee-eye-RAPE-is/

      Nomada /no-MOD-uh/

      Nomia /NO-mea/

      Odyneropsis /oh-dee-ner-OP-sis/

      Oreopasites /oh-reeoh-pass-EYE-teez/

      Osiris /oh-SIGH-ris/

      Osmia /OZ-me-yuh/

      Oxaea /ox-ee-aye/

      Oxytrigona /ox-ee-trig-OH-nuh/

      Panurginus /pan-ur-JINE-us/

      Paragapostemon /pear-uh-ag-uh-PAHST-eh-mon/

      Paralictus /pear-uh-LICK-tuss/

      Paranomada /pear-uh-no-MOD-uh/

      Paranthidium /pear-uh-an-thid-EE-um/

      Paratetrapedia /pear-uh-tet-rah-PEE-dee-uh/

      Paratrigona /pear-uh-trig-OWN-uh/

      Partamona /part-uh-MOW-nuh/

      Peponapis /pep-o-NAY-piss/

      Perdita /per-DIH-t uh/

      Pereirapis /pear-ee-eye-RAPE-is/

      Plebeia /pleb-ee-EE-uh

      Prostelis /proe-toe-STEEL-iss/

      Protandrena /prot-an-DREE-nuh/

      Protodufourea /pro-toe-dew-four-EE-uh/

      Protosmia /pro-TOZ-mee-uh/

      Protosiris /pro-toe-SIRE-is/

      Protoxaea /pro-tox-EE-uh/

      Pseudopanurgus /sue-doe-pan-UR-gus /

      Pseudaugochlora /sood-aug-oh-KLOR-uh/

      Psithyrus /SITH-ih-russ/

      Ptilocleptis /till-oh-KLEP-tiss/

      Ptiloglossa /till-oh-GLOSS-uh/

      Ptilothrix /til-O-thricks/

      Ptilotrigona /till-oh-trig-OH-nuh/

      Rhathymus /rath-THEE-mus/

      Rhinetula /rhine-ET-tule-uh/

      Rhopalolemma /rope-al-oh-LEM-uh/

      Scaptotrigona /scrap-toe-trig-OH-nuh/

      Scaura /SCOUR-uh/

      Simanthedon /sigh-MAN-theh-don/

      Sphecodes /sfeck-OH-deez/

      Sphecodogastra /sfeck-ko de-oh-GAST-ruh/

      Sphecodosoma /sfeck-oh-doe-SOH-ma/

      Stelis /STEEL-iss/

      Svastra /SVAS-tra/

      Syntric halonia /sin-trick-uh-loan-EE-uh/

      Temnosoma /tem-no-SOH-mah/

      Tetragona /tet-rah-GOHN-uh/

      Tetragonisca /tet-rah-go-NISK-uh/

      Tetraloniella /tet-rah-LOAN-ee-el-uh/

      Tetrapedia /tet-rah-pee-DEE-uh/

      Thalestria /thal-lest-TREE-uh/

      Thygater /thigh-GATE-er/

      Townsendiella /town-send-ee-EL-uh/

      Trachusa /trah-KOOS-uh/

      Trigona /trig-OH-nuh/

      Trigonisca /trig-oh-NIS-cuh/

      Triopasites /tree-oh-pass-EYE-teez/

      Xenoglossa /zee-no-GLOSS-uh/

      Xeralictus /zeer-ah-LICK-tus/

      Xeroheriades /zeer-oh-her-EYE-uh-deez/

      Xeromelecta /zero-mel-LECK-tuh/

      Xylocopa /zile-low-COPE-uh/

      Zacosmia /zack-OZ-mee-uh/

      Zikanapis /zick-ann-A-piss/

      Several authors have identified rules that describe the traditional English
      pronunciation. Usage varies among individuals and continues to evolve, but the
      descriptive rules serve as a convenient pronunciation benchmark.

      Letter Sounds:

      Letter sounds are as in English words (and therefore vary with dialect).

      The digraphs AE and OE are treated as the letter E.

      LONG E as in me, we, be: anaemia, caecum, aether, chamaeleon, larvae, vertebrae, f

      oetus, amoeba, phoenix.

      SHORT E as in met, wet, set: aesthetic, aestivate, aestuary haemorrhage, oe
      sophagus, oestrogen.

      Note the AE ending in group names: dog family, Canidae, ("CAN-id-ee" not
      "caniday"), rose family, Rosaceae ("ro-SAY-see-ee"), cat subfamily, felinae
      ("fe-LINE-ee"), olive tribe, oleeae ("ol-EE-ee-ee"), etc.

      [AE and OE are often now written simply as E: anemia, fetus, ameba, estrogen.]

      C or G preceding AE or OE is pronounced as though followed by E:

      Caesar = "seesar"

      caecum = "seekum"

      coelom = "seelom"