draft North American Pronunciation Guide to the Genera of Bees

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 13, 2008

      Below is an expanded file that was created a number of years ago as an aid in scientific name pronunciation.  It was meant to reflect what was more or less the common way to pronounce names in North America...or really in the U.S. since those were the people consulted.  Originally, it was just a guide to eastern North America, but recently Faith Kuehn reminded me that I hadn't included this file in the Handy Bee Manual and that it was useful to those just starting out.

      I believe the Spanish speaking countries have a very different method of pronouncing scientific names and that there may be differences in Canada too.  My thought would be to keep the guide to English pronunciation and note differences between Canada and the U.S. where applicable.

      Since for many of the western genera I have no real experience with pronouncing their names out loud I have used my experience with eastern species as a guide as well as the information pulled off the web at the very bottom on pronunciation.

      I am looking for corrections or feedback from anyone who cares to contribute, so, if you have time please check the list below.

      Thanks.

      sam

      P.S. Some of the formating is off in this email, but will be repaired in the final document.

      Eastern Bee Genera (and Selected Subgenera) Pronunciation Guide

      Created: Fall 2003 – Modified Summer 2008

      This pronunciation guide is designed to help the beginning bee biologist. What are presented appears to be the most commonly understood pronunciation of the bee genera (and a few subgenera) in North America. You can expect to hear a number of differing pronunciations as you talk with researchers and taxonomists, as pronunciation is governed by culture rather than set rules. Suggestions for changes or additions are encouraged and can be sent to Sam Droege (sdroege@...).

      Acanthopus /a-CAN-tho-puss/

      Agapanthinus /aguh-PAN-thin-us

      Agapostemon /ag-uh-PAHST-eh-mon/

      Agapostemonoides /aguh-pahst-em-OH-noy-dees/

      Aglae /AG-lee/

      Aglaomelissa /ag-lay-oh-mel-ISS-uh/

      Ancylandrena /ann-sill-ann-DREE-nuh/

      Ancyloscelis /ann-sill-oh-SELL-iss/

      Andinaugochlora /ann-din-aug-oh-KLOR-uh/

      Andrena /ann-DREE-nuh/

      Anthedonia /ann-theh-DOE-knee-yuh/

      Anthemurgus /ann-theh-MURG-us/

      Anthidiellum /ann-thid-e-ELL-um/

      Anthodioctes /ann-thoh-dee-OCK-tees/

      Anthidium /ann-THID-ee-yum/

      Anthophora /ann-THAH-for-uh/

      Apis /A-piss/

      Ashmeadiella /ASH-mead-ee-el-uh/

      Atoposmia - /ate-op-oz-meeuh/

      Augochlora /awe-go-KLOR-uh/

      Augochlorella /awe-go-klor-EL-uh/

      Augochloropsis /awe-go-klor-OP-sis/

      Aztecanthidium /Az-tech-ann-THID-ee-yum/

      Bombus /BOM-bus/

      Brachynomada /bracky-no-MOD-duh/

      Caenaugochlora /seen-aug-oh-KLOR-uh/

      Caenohalictus /seen-oh-hal-ICK-tus/

      Calliopsis /cal-LEE-op-sis/

      Caupolicana /kaup-po-LIH-can-uh/

      Cemolobus /sea-moh-LOW-bus/

      Centris /SEN-tris/

      Ceratina /sera-TIE-nuh/

      Chelostoma /chel-AHST-oh-mah/

      Cephalotrigona /seph-al-oh-trig-OH-nuh/

      Chlerogella /clair-oh-GELL-uh/

      Chilicola /chill-LICK-oh-luh/

      Coelioxoides /sealy-ox-OID-ees/

      Coelioxys /sealy-OX-ees/

      Colletes /koh-LEE-teez/

      Conanthalictus /koh-nanth-hal-ICK-tuss/

      Crawfordapis /kraw-ford-A-piss/

      Ctenioschelus /ten-eeoh-SHELL-us/

      Deltoptila /delt-OH-till-uh/

      Diadasia /die-uh-DAY-zeeuh

      Dialictus /die-uh-LICK-tuss/

      Dianthidium /die-ann-THID-ee-um/

      Dieunomia /die-u-NOH-mee-uh/

      Dinagapostemon /dine-ag-uh-PAHST-eh-mon/

      Dioxys /die-OX-eez/

      Doeringiella /dew-er-rinj-ee-EL-uh/

      Dolichostelis /dole-ih-koe-STEEL-iss/

      Duckeanthidium /duck-ee-ann-THID-ee-um/

      Dufourea /dew-four-EE-uh/

      Epanthidium /epp-ann-THID-ee-um/

      Epeoloides /e-pee-oh-LLOYD-eez/

      Epeolus /e-pee-OH-lus/

      Epicharis /EPI-care-us/

      Ericrocis /air-ih-KROE-sis/

      Eucera /u-SIR-uh/

      Eufriesea /u-FREE-jee-uh/

      Eulaema /u-LEE-ma/

      Eulonchopria /u-lon-chaw-PREE-uh/

      Evylaeus /ev-uh-LEE-us/

      Exaerete /ex-ee-RAY-tee/

      Exomalopsis /ex-oh-mal-LOP-sis/

      Florilegus /flor-ih-LEG-us/

      Frieseomelitta /freeze-ee-oh-mel-IT-tuh/

      Gaesischia /jee-sish-SHEE-uh/

      Geotrigona /jee-oh-trig-OH-nuh/

      Habralictus /hab-rah-LICK-tuss/

      Habropoda /hab-roh-PODA/

      Halictus /ha-LICK-tuss/

      Hemihalictus /hem-ee-hah-LICK-tuss/

      Heriades /her-EYE-ah-deez/

      Hesperapis /hes-per-A-piss/

      Heterosarus /het-er-o-SAUR-us/

      Hexepeolus /hex-ee-PEE-oh-lus/

      Holcopasites /hole-koe-pah-SITE-eez/

      Hoplitis /hop-LIE-tuss/

      Hoplostelis /hop-low-STEE-liss/

      Hylaeus /hi-LEE-us/

      Hypanthidioides /hi-pan-thid-EE-oid-eez/

      Hypanthidium /hi-pan-thid-EE-um/

      Lasioglossum /laz-ee-oh-GLOSS-um/

      Leiopodus /lee-ee-oh-pod-us/

      Lestrimelitta /less-trih-mel-IT-tuh/

      Lithurge /LIH-thurj/

      Macropis /ma-CROW-piss/

      Macrotera /ma-CROW-terr-uh/

      Martinapis /mar-TIN-a-piss/

      Megachile /meg-uh-KILE-ee/

      Megalopta /meg-uh-LOP-tah/

      Megaloptilla /meg-uh-lop-TILL-uh/

      Megandrena /meg-ann-DREE-nuh/

      Megommation /meg-ohm-MAY-shun/

      Melecta /mel-LECK-tuh/

      Melissodes /mel-ih-SOH-deez/

      Melissoptila /mel-lis-SOP-till-uh/

      Melipona /mel-LIH-poe-nuh/

      Melitoma /mel-lih-TOE-mah/

      Melitta /mel-IT-tuh/

      Meliwillea /mel-lih-WILL-eeuh/

      Mesocheira /meez-oh-KEER-uh/

      Mesoplia /meez-oh-PLEE-uh/

      Mesoxaea /meez-ox-EE-uh/

      Metapsaenythia /met-uh-see-NEE-thee-uh/

      Mexalictus /mex-al-LICK-tus/

      Micralictoides /mike-crugh-lick-TOY-deez/

      Microsphecodes /mike-crow-SFECK-code-eez/

      Monoeca /mon-EE-kuh/

      Mydrosoma /my-droh-SOH-muh/

      Nanorhathymus /nan-oh-rath-THIGH-mus/

      Nannotrigona /nan-oh-trig-GOH-nuh/

      Neocorynura /knee-oh-CORY-nur-uh/

      Neolarra /knee-oh-LAIR-uh/

      Neopasites /knee-oh-pass-EYE-teez /

      Nesosphecodes /knee-zoh-sfeck-O-deez /

      Nogueirapis /nog-yew-ee-eye-RAPE-is/

      Nomada /no-MOD-uh/

      Nomia /NO-mea/

      Odyneropsis /oh-dee-ner-OP-sis/

      Oreopasites /oh-reeoh-pass-EYE-teez/

      Osiris /oh-SIGH-ris/

      Osmia /OZ-me-yuh/

      Oxaea /ox-ee-aye/

      Oxytrigona /ox-ee-trig-OH-nuh/

      Panurginus /pan-ur-JINE-us/

      Paragapostemon /pear-uh-ag-uh-PAHST-eh-mon/

      Paralictus /pear-uh-LICK-tuss/

      Paranomada /pear-uh-no-MOD-uh/

      Paranthidium /pear-uh-an-thid-EE-um/

      Paratetrapedia /pear-uh-tet-rah-PEE-dee-uh/

      Paratrigona /pear-uh-trig-OWN-uh/

      Partamona /part-uh-MOW-nuh/

      Peponapis /pep-o-NAY-piss/

      Perdita /per-DIH-tuh/

      Pereirapis /pear-ee-eye-RAPE-is/

      Plebeia /pleb-ee-EE-uh

      Prostelis /proe-toe-STEEL-iss/

      Protandrena /prot-an-DREE-nuh/

      Protodufourea /pro-toe-dew-four-EE-uh/

      Protosmia /pro-TOZ-mee-uh/

      Protosiris /pro-toe-SIRE-is/

      Protoxaea /pro-tox-EE-uh/

      Pseudopanurgus /sue-doe-pan-UR-gus/

      Pseudaugochlora /sood-aug-oh-KLOR-uh/

      Psithyrus /SITH-ih-russ/

      Ptilocleptis /till-oh-KLEP-tiss/

      Ptiloglossa /till-oh-GLOSS-uh/

      Ptilothrix /til-O-thricks/

      Ptilotrigona /till-oh-trig-OH-nuh/

      Rhathymus /rath-THEE-mus/

      Rhinetula /rhine-ET-tule-uh/

      Rhopalolemma /rope-al-oh-LEM-uh/

      Scaptotrigona /scrap-toe-trig-OH-nuh/

      Scaura /SCOUR-uh/

      Simanthedon /sigh-MAN-theh-don/

      Sphecodes /sfeck-OH-deez/

      Sphecodogastra /sfeck-kode-oh-GAST-ruh/

      Sphecodosoma /sfeck-oh-doe-SOH-ma/

      Stelis /STEEL-iss/

      Svastra /SVAS-tra/

      Syntrichalonia /sin-trick-uh-loan-EE-uh/

      Temnosoma /tem-no-SOH-mah/

      Tetragona /tet-rah-GOHN-uh/

      Tetragonisca /tet-rah-go-NISK-uh/

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

    • Jamese_Hemsley@nps.gov
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 14, 2008
        Hey. Sam,

        Is there a Pronunciation Guide that don't have all the names crossed out as
        viewed on your attachment or is this something that is retrievable from the
        web.

        Thanks.
        Jamese H.

        Sam Droege
        <sdroege@...> To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
        Sent by: cc: (bcc: Jamese Hemsley/NACE/NPS)
        beemonitoring@yaho Subject: [beemonitoring] draft North American Pronunciation Guide to the Genera of
        ogroups.com Bees

        08/13/2008 04:30
        PM AST
        Please respond to
        beemonitoring

        All:

[...]

        < SPAN style="COLOR: black;">Augochloropsis /awe-go-klor-OP-sis/

[...]

        Evylaeus < /FONT>/ev-uh-LEE-us/

[...]

        Melecta /mel-LECK-tuh/< /FONT>

[...]

        Tetraloniella /tet-rah-LOAN-ee-el-uh/

        Tetrapedia /tet-rah-pee-DEE-uh/

        Thalestria /thal-lest-TREE-uh/

        Thygater /thigh-GATE-er/

        Townsendiella /town-send-ee-EL-uh/

        Trachusa /trah-KOOS-uh/

        Trigona /trig-OH-nuh/

        Trigonisca /trig-oh-NIS-cuh/

        Triopasites /tree-oh-pass-EYE-teez/

        Xenoglossa /zee-no-GLOSS-uh/

        Xeralictus /zeer-ah-LICK-tus/

        Xeroheriades /zeer-oh-her-EYE-uh-deez/

        Xeromelecta /zero-mel-LECK-tuh/

        Xylocopa /zile-low-COPE-uh/

        Zacosmia /zack-OZ-mee-uh/

        Zikanapis /zick-ann-A-piss/

        Several authors have identified rules that describe the traditional English
        pronunciation. Usage varies among individuals and continues to evolve, but the
        descriptive rules serve as a convenient pronunciation benchmark.

        Letter Sounds:

        Letter sounds are as in English words (and therefore vary with dialect).

        The digraphs AE and OE are treated as the letter E.

        LONG E as in me, we, be: anaemia, caecum, aether, chamaeleon, larvae, vertebrae, f
        oetus, amoeba, phoenix.

        SHORT E as in met, wet, set: aesthetic, aestivate, aestuary haemorrhage, oe
        sophagus, oestrogen.

        Note the AE ending in group names: dog family, Canidae, ("CAN-id-ee" not
        "caniday"), rose family, Rosaceae ("ro-SAY-see-ee"), cat subfamily, felinae
        ("fe-LINE-ee"), olive tribe, oleeae ("ol-EE-ee-ee"), etc.

        [AE and OE are often now written simply as E: anemia, fetus, ameba, estrogen.]

        C or G preceding AE or OE is pronounced as though followed by E:

        Caesar = "seesar"

        caecum = "seekum"

        coelom = "seelom"

        algae = "aljee"

        CH is pronounced as K: chorus, echo, chrysanthemum.

        TH as in thorax, thymus, thuja ("THOO-ja")

        A final vowel is always voiced, as in flora, hero, Apollo.

        fungi = "FUNJ-eye," i as in alibi

        cocci = "COCKS-eye," i as i n alibi

        ovale = "oh-VAY-lee," e as in Daphne, hyperbole, anemone, Aphrodite, Chloe

        difficile = "dif-ISS-il-ee," (as in the bacterial species name Clostridium
        difficile, C. difficile -"see dif-ISS-il-ee"), e as in Daphne, hyperbole, anemone,
        Aphrodite, Chloe

        stapes = "STAY-peez" e as in Achilles, meninges, diabetes

        Some initial consonants are silent when followed by a consonant.

        pterosaur = "TER-o-saur"

        pseudopod = "SOO-do-pod"

        pneuma = "NEW-ma"
      • Jamese_Hemsley@nps.gov
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 14, 2008
          Hey. Sam.

          I have a Pronunciation Guide now that's doesn't have the names crossed out.

          Thanks.
          JH

          Jamese_Hemsley@nps
          .gov To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
          Sent by: cc: (bcc: Jamese Hemsley/NACE/NPS)
          beemonitoring@yaho Subject: Re: [beemonitoring] draft North American Pronunciation Guide to the Genera of
          ogroups.com Bees

          08/14/2008 05:16
          PM AST