PA/NJ Lithurgus chrysurus update.

  • donovall
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 12, 2008
      Hi Fellow Bee-People:

      I wanted to send out an update on our progress with the Lithurgus
      chrysurus pilot survey in Eastern PA and Western NJ. To date, we
      have confirmed (with specimens) 6 sites in 3 counties in PA (Lehigh,
      Northampton and Carbon) and have one possible record from 2006 in
      Bucks County. In NJ, Sam Droege has confirmed 4 sites in 3 counties
      in NJ (Warren, Hunterdon and Somerset). So far, all of the sites (in
      PA, at least) have occurred along active railroad tracks (except
      Lehigh Gap, which is now a hike/bike trail past the Lehigh Gap
      Environmental Center, but just across the Lehigh River from an active
      rail-line). We have a possibility of a few leads on nest sites and
      are seeking funding for next summer (in PA).

      If anyone has an update on New Jersey in the last month or so, please
      let us know. In both cases, we could use some more help, as the
      Centaurea maculosa bloom is waning.

      Rick Donovall
      PA Native Bee Survey
      PA Department of Agriculture - Apiary Section
    • frozenbeedoc@cs.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 13, 2008
        Rick,

        I can add negative results from 4 sites in Berks County and one in Pike County.  The Berks County blooms were also near railroad lines, but the one in Pike County was on a section of I-84.  Blooms at two ramps plus a section nearby with safety fencing.

        A lot of bumble bees (not yet identified) and a few honey bees, but nothing at all like Lithurgus.

        Anita Collins