Bombus terricola

  • leifrichardson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 15, 2008
      Hello Bee Listers,
      I'm interested in hearing about any recent collections of Bombus
      terricola in the northeast. Despite this bee's population crash, I
      still find it a few times each summer here in Vermont. This year I
      have already collected and/or photographed it at eight sites, two of
      which I had collected it at in previous years. I am starting to wonder
      whether B. terricola might be increasing in numbers again, at least
      where I live. Is anyone else seeing this bee?

      I'm posting a map and photo to the group website on this subject.

      Thanks,

      Leif Richardson
      leif.richardson@...
    • frozenbeedoc@cs.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 15, 2008
        Leif,

        I've gotten a number of Bombus in the Pocono Mts of northeastern PA.  You'll have to wait awhile until I get them ID'd.  But I'll let you know if I find any here.

        Anita M. Collins
        USDA, ARS research geneticist insects, retired
      • Richardson, Leif
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 23, 2008
          Anita,
          Thank you for your reply. I collected B. terricola at yet another site this week! I look forward to hearing about your bees once you've identified them.

          Leif

          Leif Richardson
          Ecologist
          Vermont Nongame and Natural Heritage Program
          Department of Fish and Wildlife
          5 Perry Street, Suite 40
          Barre, VT 05641-4266
          (802) 476-0128