Dragonfly and Bee

  • Richard Orr
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 13, 2008

      I thought you might like to see this photograph.

      http://www.marylandinsects.com/images/vibrans-halictid.JPG

      I was photographing a male Great Blue Skimmer (Libellula vibrans) yesterday down in Charles County in Southern Maryland .  I took a dozen or so photos of this large dragonfly as it was feeding (perch and then fly out to grab insects and return to the perch to feed).  It was not until I got home and processed the photos that I noticed that one of its food items was a metallic green halictid bee.

      The photograph is for your enjoyment and not a request for bee identification.  However, if you can identify the bee (which makes you a far better bee person than me) I would be interested.

      Cheers,

      Richard Orr

      Mid-Atlantic Invertebrate Field Studies

      5215 Durham Rd - East