Re: [Pollinator] Smithsonian

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 19, 2014
      Yes, I would find it very disturbing if they are real.  Remember, there was a time you could walk into the gift shops of many museums and find all sorts of arthropods embedded in resin.  A lucite block cut into a little coffin shape with a scorpion inside (part of a key chain) was awfully popular.  in Beijing, a few years back, I found such blocks containing the life cycle of the silk moth.  Like Liz, though, I think the butterflies in the snow globe are fakes.    It's best to find out before formal complaints are made.

      Peter

      On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 11:31 AM, Liz Day <lizday44@...> wrote:

      With the precipitous decline in the Monarch population, does it bother anyone else that the Smithsonian is selling snow globes with Monarchs in them (even with the mention of their pollinator garden)? Or am I being overly sensitive?

      <http://www.smithsonianstore.com/monarch-butterfly-snowglobe-80334.html?&wtl=s&wtl1=monarch%20snow%20globe>http://www.smithsonianstore.com/monarch-butterfly-snowglobe-80334.html?&wtl=s&wtl1=monarch%20snow%20globe

      I'm not sure those are real monarchs, they seem possibly plastic resin.  ?
      Liz
      Indianapolis USA

    • Jack Neff

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 20, 2014

          Yes, those are fake Monarchs…Brian H.

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 20, 2014
            If that's an actual picture of a snowglobe, if you zoom in it is clear that they are not real and less clear that they are actually monarchs.

            While monarchs may be declining, there are still a lot of them and killing a few thousand of them for snowglobes or somesuch would not affect their populations, and if itwould help the public be more aware about insect conservation, maybe it would be almost morally justifiable.  We kill orders of magnitude more by driving vehicles, and a lot of trips people take are of less value to insects than a snow globe.  :)

            To: malawler0@...; beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
            CC: pollinator@...

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 20, 2014
              Even though they are fake, the message sent to people that don't know this (as most people in this connected group did not) is that money can be made by selling endangered species.  There is a law of unintended consequences and it applies the least to people who can't look up since they are focused on the bottom line.  Everyone else, however, takes penalty points.

              To: malawler0@...; beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
              CC: pollinator@...
              From: beemonitoring-noreply@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 16:22:54 -0500

[...]

              ACCGTCCGTAGCATGCCGTRATATATTATCGATTTACGTATATCTCGAACGGTATA
                                                                     .
              Richard Patrock
              516 West Lee Ave.
              Kingsville, TX 78363

              TGGCAGGCATCGTACGGCATSATATATTAGCTAAATGCATATAGAGCTTGCCATAT

              Entropy isn’t what it used to be