Pilot survey of Megachilids in Eastern PA/Western NJ

  • donovall
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2008
      Hi All:

      Sam Droege and I are heading up a pilot survey of the Megachilids
      coming to Centaurea sp. in Eastern PA (around Lehigh Gap) and
      Western NJ. We are looking for volunteers to help with collection.
      The survey will run through August of this year, as we hope to
      gather enough data to provide support to run a more formal survey
      for next year. The following is a summary protocol for this year's
      survey.

      1. Collect any time from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
      2. Collect only off of Centaurea plants
      3. Learn what Centaurea looks like at:
      http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=CENTA
      4. Net collect any Megachilid going to these flowers.
      5. Record
      a. Location name
      b. lat long
      c. Minutes collected (exclude any time spent walking between
      patches and time taking specimens out of nets or making notes)
      d. Date
      e. Start and End Time
      6. Specimens can be pinned or sent in 70% alcohol (isopropyl will
      do in a pinch)
      7. If sending in alcohol please drain the alcohol from the
      container put the damp specimens in a ziploc back, put that zip lock
      bag in another ziploc bag with a paper towel in it (with a paper
      label that includes location, date and collector, in pencil), put
      those bags in another ziploc and mail to:

      Rick Donovall
      Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture
      Bureau of Plant Industry - Apiary Section
      2301 N. Cameron St
      Harrisburg, PA 17110

      If you are interested in participating, please email Rick at
      buggist@... for more information. We will start surveying
      immediately.

      Thanks,
      Rick Donovall
      Pennsylvania Native Bee Survey
      PA Department of Agriculture - Apiary Section
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 7, 2008

        As many of you will recall this was inspired by the recent recapture of Lithurgus chrysurus in the region... an invasive, wood drilling bee thought to have been extirpated in the 70's.

        O, as I walk'd the beach, I heard the mournful notes foreboding a
                tempest--the low, oft-repeated shriek of the diver, the long-
                lived loon;
                      -Walt Whitman - Leaves of Grass

        "donovall" <donovall@...>
        Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

        07/07/2008 02:57 PM

        Please respond to
        beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

        beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
        cc
        Subject
        [beemonitoring] Pilot survey of Megachilids in Eastern PA/Western NJ

[...]

      • Griswold, Terry
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 8, 2008

          Rick & Sam,

          John Barthell is conducting a study comparing bee visitation at Centaurea in its native range to bees in western NA where it is invasive.  Though it is probably a different species of Centaurea might be useful to use a similar protocol for a broader comparison.

          terry

          Terry Griswold

          USDA-ARS Bee Biology & Systematics Laboratory

          Utah State University

          Logan, UT 84322-5310

          USA

          Phone: 435.797.2526

          Fax: 435.797.0461

          As many of you will recall this was inspired by the recent recapture of Lithurgus chrysurus in the region... an invasive, wood drilling bee thought to have been extirpated in the 70's.

          sam

          Sam Droege  sdroege@usgs. gov
          BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave., Beltsville , MD   20705
          Http://www.pwrc. usgs.gov

          "donovall" <donovall@udel. edu>

          buggist@gmail. com for more information. We will start surveying