Re: [beemonitoring] Pan Trap Colors

  • Marie Springer
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3, 2008
      Yes, I use lavender, purple, light pink and shocking pink, regularly and get stronger results in the purples than the other colors, I have kept counts on the differences.  I also use an orange bowl as the null, so I know I am not missing anything.  I have seen bees in it, but not large quantities.  I get more wasps and butterflies in it.
      I have seen differences between the, blue, yellow, white,  bowls but did not keep track of species, only numbers per color.  I will tell you I have seen strong variance  by sites, at times, and other times no difference.

      Marie Springer, President
      Friends of Wallkill River
      National Wildlife Refuges
      1547 Route 565, Sussex, NJ 07461
      201-660-8880

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 7, 2008

        Hi Gidi,  I use small pan traps blue, white, red and yellow simultaneously,  filled with water, detergent and a little of sugar. I cached more bees in blue and yellow, only one type of small Halictidae in the white) in the red and white I obtain more diptera and also some butterflies.

        1. I was wondering if anoyone has worked with bowl traps colored pink
        or violet, and if so, what were the results. A substantial fraction of
        flowering species, including bee-pollinated ones, have these colors.
        Where I come from (Israel), they greatly outnumber the blue ones.

        2. Did anyone find any significant difference in bee
        species/genera/ taxon/functional group composition, when comparing the
        catches of white, blue and yellow bowls?

        Thanks,

        Gidi.

        ¡Buscá desde tu celular! Yahoo! oneSEARCH ahora está en Claro
        http://ar.mobile.yahoo.com/onesearch