RE: [beemonitoring] Final Production Version of Alien and Introduced Bees of North America north of Mexico

  • Cane, Jim
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2008

      Sam- regarding Osmia cornifrons, I gather that some fruit growers are using it and propagating it in Michigan, and Karen Strickler stumbled into them among populations Osmia lignaria trap-nested (I think) in the Portland OR area (Chris O’Toole bought the nests for his mass-rearing program of Oslig for almond pollination, recognized the “wrong” nests, informed Karen, and destroyed them).

      jim

      ===============================

      James H. Cane

      Utah State University , Logan , UT 84322 USA

      tel: 435-797-3879   FAX: 435-797-0461

      email: Jim.Cane@...

      web page: www.ars.usda.gov/npa/beelab

      "Embrace entropy"

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2008

        Jim:

        Would it be safe to say:

         Osmia cornifrons 1960.  Eastern China, Korea, and Japan.  Introduced to pollinate tree fruit crops.  Feral populations are definitely established in the Mid-Atlantic and  Northeastern U.S. and possibly in the Upper Midwest and Northwestern U.S.  Available commercially.

        ?

        What Luck

        What luck I can pick
        berries in the wood