Fwd: New Phytologist articles from vol 203:3 (August 2014) (Bohman et al. and Commentary Ayasse & Dotterl)

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 11, 2014
    Dear Colleagues:

    Here are some recent publications from the K. Dixon lab (Perth, Western Australia).  The reprint of the paper in "New Phytologist" reminds me of a line from a poem parodying Dr Seuss in the early 1970's ...

    "He had never heard of unnatural sex,
    And had slept while his teacher read Oedipus Rex."

    Dr Meier and I worked in his laboratory in 2009 while we studied the sun orchids (Thelymitra).  Dr Dixon's graduate students were working on these topics at the time and brought live specimens into the building.  One young man looked a lot like a werewolf (perhaps he located the wasps by scent).

    FYI.  Flower wasps in the family Tiphiidae are found in western parts of North America but are more usually associated with nectar-secreting flowers in the water-leaf (Hydrophyllaceae) and snapdragon (Penstemon, Plantaginaceae) families.

    Peter

    Message 2 of 4 , Jul 11, 2014
      Tiphiids occur throughout North America and at least in my experience, are mainly associated with flowers with shallow exposed nectaries like Rosaceae, Apiaceae, Rhamnaceae and so forth.  The Australian flower wasps are members of the Thynninae, a subfamily that does not occur in North America (although they are in temperate South America).  The thynnines are an odd group in which the females are small and flightless while the males are much larger and winged.  The females crawl up on twigs and emit pheromones to attract the males who search them out and carry them around in perpetual copula.  This presumably sets the table for the  the pseudocopulatory pollination systems the males are famously involved in.

      best

      Jack

      On Friday, July 11, 2014 9:24 AM, "Peter Bernhardt bernhap2@... [beemonitoring]" <beemonitoring-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from Peter Bernhardt included below]
[...]

        As it turns out, recent molecular phylogenies have shown that "tiphiids" were a polyphyletic group composed of two unrelated lineages; the family Tiphiidae as presently recognized contains only the former subfamilies Tiphiinae and Brachycistidinae. Tiphioidea contains only this family and Sierolomorphidae. The remaining subfamilies (Thynninae, Myzininae, Anthoboscinae, Diacamminae) are now in the family Thynnidae, which is in a separate superfamily, Thynnoidea, the only other family of which is Chyphotidae (comprising all of what were formerly New World "bradynobaenids"). So, where we used to have Tiphiids and Bradynobaenids in the US, we now have Tiphiids, Thynnids, and Chyphotids. It'll take a little getting used to.

        Peace,
      • laurence packer
        Message 4 of 4 , Jul 11, 2014
          And doubtless will be changed again as soon as another analysis is performed.
          So much for phylogenetics being valued for bringing stability to classification - as
          Wheeler has said (not in these exact words), taxonomic stability is a sign of
          stagnation.  An alternative view is that stagnation might suggest that it has finally
          asymptoted as close to the real tree as possible.  That seems far from the
          case with Hymenoptera!

          cheers

          laurence