Re: [beemonitoring] Pan Trap Colors

  • Karen Wetherill
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3, 2008
      I use funnel traps, not bowl traps and I use Krylon flourescent yellow and
      Krylon flourescent blue. I get very significant differences in taxon in
      the two different colors. Very generally, I get more Halictidae in the
      yellow and more Apidae and Megachilidae in the blue. From hearsay, I
      think the white tends to attract about the same as the yellow. I have not
      tried other colors. Karen
    • Marie Springer
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3, 2008
        Yes, I use lavender, purple, light pink and shocking pink, regularly and get stronger results in the purples than the other colors, I have kept counts on the differences.  I also use an orange bowl as the null, so I know I am not missing anything.  I have seen bees in it, but not large quantities.  I get more wasps and butterflies in it.
        I have seen differences between the, blue, yellow, white,  bowls but did not keep track of species, only numbers per color.  I will tell you I have seen strong variance  by sites, at times, and other times no difference.

        Marie Springer, President
        Friends of Wallkill River
        National Wildlife Refuges
        1547 Route 565, Sussex, NJ 07461
        201-660-8880

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 7, 2008

          Hi Gidi,  I use small pan traps blue, white, red and yellow simultaneously,  filled with water, detergent and a little of sugar. I cached more bees in blue and yellow, only one type of small Halictidae in the white) in the red and white I obtain more diptera and also some butterflies.

          1. I was wondering if anoyone has worked with bowl traps colored pink
          or violet, and if so, what were the results. A substantial fraction of
          flowering species, including bee-pollinated ones, have these colors.
          Where I come from (Israel), they greatly outnumber the blue ones.

          2. Did anyone find any significant difference in bee
          species/genera/ taxon/functional group composition, when comparing the
          catches of white, blue and yellow bowls?

          Thanks,

          Gidi.

          ¡Buscá desde tu celular! Yahoo! oneSEARCH ahora está en Claro
          http://ar.mobile.yahoo.com/onesearch