Design for adjustable pan traps (aka: elevated or raised pan traps)

  • Crystal Boyd
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 10, 2014
      Hello, everyone. Do you know of any designs for building adjustable, elevated pan traps?

      Alex Surcica and Sam Droege posted a great slideshow here for multiple traps on one rod.

      I'm curious if you've  done something similar for a single bee bowl at each rod--like an adjustable version of Sam's glycol trap holders.

      Thanks in advance for your thoughts,
      Crystal
    • Richard Patrock
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 10, 2014
        That is a lot of traps.  Looks more like one is trying to drain the pool than check the chlorine level.

        --

        ACCGTCCGTAGCATGCCGTRATATATTATCGATTTACGTATATCTCGAACGGTATA
                                                               .

        TGGCAGGCATCGTACGGCATSATATATTAGCTAAATGCATATAGAGCTTGCCATAT

        Entropy isn’t what it used to be

      • Sellers, Elizabeth
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 10, 2014
          Hi Crystal,

          I used these single-stem plant props ($1.38 each at Home Depot - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Garden-Zone-36-in-Plant-Prop-613672/100562892?N=5yc1vZbx6iZ1z0w0l4) which turned out to be the perfect size for holding my 3.25 oz solo cup bee bowls about 6" below the 'canopy' of a field of largely herbaceous close-growing plants (including a nice thick layer of poison ivy). This was along a 30 bowl transect - 30 props for 30 bowls.

          Here's a photo. I opened the top loop to the right width to hold each bowl by its rim.

          There's a blue painted bowl on top of a plant prop in the foreground of this photo - the rest of the transect is hidden within the vegetation running along the 'trail'. This one just happened to be more exposed. I didn't want to have a mix of propped and non-propped bowls within the same transect, it was all or none.

          I did this in part to:

          - make the bowls visible to over-flying bees but not too exposed (lower than the 'canopy' but not completely hidden by the vegetation);
          - accessible for my volunteers who sometimes struggled to find all of the bowls in a transect; and to
          - avoid having to reach down through poison ivy (to which I am very allergic - based on years of experience) to place and pick up the bowls.

          Cheers, Liz

          Elizabeth Sellers

          Eco-Science Synthesis (ESS)
          Core Science Analytics, Synthesis, and Libraries (CSAS&L)
          BISON Data Team; USGS Liaison to the Plant Conservation Alliance
          United States Geological Survey (USGS)
          12201 Sunrise Valley Drive, Mail Stop 302
          Reston, VA 20192  USA
          Room 2A231C
          703.648.4385  esellers@...

          Looking for species occurrence data for the U.S.? Check out:
          Biodiversity Information Serving Our Nation (BISON) http://bison.usgs.ornl.gov/

          Future generations will not be able to read and will communicate
          using emoticons; and we 'dinosaurs' will be called upon to 'interpret'
          text like Egyptian hieroglyphs from thousands of years ago.

          "No amount of automation will replace human beings, but clumsy and belligerent automation will alienate them and suppress their creativity." Kazic, et al., 2003. Whither Biological Database Research?

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 10, 2014
            Thanks, Elizabeth and Rufus. Your suggestions are great for stationary pan traps. They'd work perfectly in a habitat where the vegetation stays uniform.

            I'm working in the tallgrass prairie, where vegetation grows from short to tall each season. I'd like to use one PVC pipe with an adjustable arm.

            A trip to the hardware store might spark some creativity... I'll report back soon. List-serv, please keep your great suggestions flowing!

            Thanks,
            Crystal

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 10, 2014
              I should add that I used those plant-props only for 12 hour monitoring - AM bowl placement; PM bowl collection. They wouldn't keep the bowls upright in a storm or strong/gusty winds.

              Cheers, Liz

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 10, 2014
                Hi Crystal,

                I sampled for bees in a marsh habitat and I placed the traps on PVC platforms.  It worked well as long as there wasn't any wind.  It helped to velcro the traps to the platform, and I made the platform out of mesh so the bees would get caught if it rained and the bowls overflowed.  I think the design could easily be modified with a wingnut to allow you to adjust the height on the fly.

                Inline image 3

                Inline image 4Inline image 1Inline image 2

                On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 10:29 AM, Crystal Boyd Crystal.Boyd@... [beemonitoring] <beemonitoring-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

                PhD Candidate, Dartmouth College
                78 College St.
                Life Sciences Center
                Biological Sciences Dept.
                Hanover, NH  03755
              • Droege, Sam
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 10, 2014
                  You can always staple, glue or nail a trap in place on a stand and the put another one with soapy water into that one for increased resistance to being blown away.

                  Sam Droege  sdroege@...

                  All day and night, music,
                  a quite, bright
                  reedsong. If it
                  fades, we fade
                     - Rumi

                  Bees are Not Optional
                  Apes sunt et non liberum
                • Nicholas Stewart

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 10, 2014
                      I recently installed PVC poles (1/2 ") with a coupler on top to which I glued a translucent bowl, then place my colored bee bowl when needed (Rufus Isaacs design). I had an idea for how to make these adjustable but haven't tried it yet. But here it is: take a large binder clip that fits tight on the pole and can be slid up and down, then figure out way to attach a translucent bowl to that. I poke holes in the bottom of the translucent bowls so that they drain when it rains.
                      Ann Fraser
                      Kalamazoo College
                      Dept. Of Biology

                    • Colin Phifer
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 10, 2014
                      Perhaps this paper might be of use. It includes a diagram of an adjustable pan trap using PVC. Here's the citation.

                      Elevated pan traps to monitor bees in flowering crop canopies. Julianna K. Tuell & Rufus Isaacs. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 131: 93–98, 2009.