Pan Trap Colors

  • Gidi
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3 5:28 AM
      1. I was wondering if anoyone has worked with bowl traps colored pink
      or violet, and if so, what were the results. A substantial fraction of
      flowering species, including bee-pollinated ones, have these colors.
      Where I come from (Israel), they greatly outnumber the blue ones.

      2. Did anyone find any significant difference in bee
      species/genera/taxon/functional group composition, when comparing the
      catches of white, blue and yellow bowls?

      Thanks,

      Gidi.
    • Robert-and-Jane Whitaker
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3 5:41 AM
        Gidi, I am using florescent Pink and florescent orange as well as Fl
        yellow, F lblue, and white. I am collecting bees in all colors but
        fewer in the orange. At this point of the year I am collecting bore
        bees in the white and yellow bowls but in the spring I was getting am
        equal amount in the pink bowls. They are certainly worth trying. I
        use florescent spray paint as it is easier and quicker to apply.
        Jane

        On Jul 3, 2008, at 8:28 AM, Gidi wrote:

        > 1. I was wondering if anoyone has worked with bowl traps colored pink
        > or violet, and if so, what were the results. A substantial fraction of
        > flowering species, including bee-pollinated ones, have these colors.
        > Where I come from (Israel), they greatly outnumber the blue ones.
        >
        > 2. Did anyone find any significant difference in bee
        > species/genera/taxon/functional group composition, when comparing the
        > catches of white, blue and yellow bowls?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Gidi.

      • Karen Wetherill
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 3 8:21 AM
          I use funnel traps, not bowl traps and I use Krylon flourescent yellow and
          Krylon flourescent blue. I get very significant differences in taxon in
          the two different colors. Very generally, I get more Halictidae in the
          yellow and more Apidae and Megachilidae in the blue. From hearsay, I
          think the white tends to attract about the same as the yellow. I have not
          tried other colors. Karen
        • Marie Springer
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 3 8:11 PM
            Yes, I use lavender, purple, light pink and shocking pink, regularly and get stronger results in the purples than the other colors, I have kept counts on the differences.  I also use an orange bowl as the null, so I know I am not missing anything.  I have seen bees in it, but not large quantities.  I get more wasps and butterflies in it.
            I have seen differences between the, blue, yellow, white,  bowls but did not keep track of species, only numbers per color.  I will tell you I have seen strong variance  by sites, at times, and other times no difference.

            Marie Springer, President
            Friends of Wallkill River
            National Wildlife Refuges
            1547 Route 565, Sussex, NJ 07461
            201-660-8880

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 7 10:20 AM

              Hi Gidi,  I use small pan traps blue, white, red and yellow simultaneously,  filled with water, detergent and a little of sugar. I cached more bees in blue and yellow, only one type of small Halictidae in the white) in the red and white I obtain more diptera and also some butterflies.

              1. I was wondering if anoyone has worked with bowl traps colored pink
              or violet, and if so, what were the results. A substantial fraction of
              flowering species, including bee-pollinated ones, have these colors.
              Where I come from (Israel), they greatly outnumber the blue ones.

              2. Did anyone find any significant difference in bee
              species/genera/ taxon/functional group composition, when comparing the
              catches of white, blue and yellow bowls?

              Thanks,

              Gidi.

              ¡Buscá desde tu celular! Yahoo! oneSEARCH ahora está en Claro
              http://ar.mobile.yahoo.com/onesearch