Re: [beemonitoring] Common Bees of Washington D.C. - And a call for similar lists

  • T'ai Roulston
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 19, 2006
      Sam:

      If you don't find a better place to post it, I could post the common
      bees of Washington, DC list as a separate web page on my own web
      site, which includes my ongoing list of bees from my field station
      (http://people.virginia.edu/~thr8z/Bee_Diversity/Blandy_Bee_Diversity.php).
      It would be best, however, to have it as part of a broader
      compilation, if anyone has one or is working on one.

      T'ai

      At 10:12 AM 12/19/2006, you wrote:

      >All:
      >
      >Attached is a list of the common bees of the Washington D.C. area,
      >based on our surveys over the past several years. While we do plan
      >to publish a complete list at some point, you know how that goes,
      >there is always another bee to find, and old specimens to track down
      >and verify. In the meantime, after a few years it becomes clear
      >what the generally common species are. That list is very useful to
      >those just beginning to do ecological, inventory, monitoring, or
      >research work.
      >
      >Consequently, I would like to challenge the other bee researchers
      >out there to do something similar for their research regions or
      >where they live. Format doesn't really matter. Although I don't
      >have a web site where we can post such things I bet Gretchen LeBuhn
      >or someone else does.....
      >
      >Just think about how handy that list would have been when you started.....
      >
      >Thanks.
      >
      >sam
      >

      >Sam Droege Sam_Droege@...
      >w 301-497-5840 h 301-390-7759 fax 301-497-5624
      >USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center
      >BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave., Beltsville, MD 20705
      >Http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov
      >
      >On the Vanity of Earthly Greatness
      >
      >The tusks which clashed in mighty brawls
      >Of mastodons, are billiard balls.
      >
      >The sword of Charlemagne the Just
      >Is Ferric Oxide, known as rust.
      >
      >The grizzly bear, whose potent hug,
      >Was feared by all, is now a rug.
      >
      >Great Caesar's bust is on the shelf,
      >And I don't feel so well myself.
      >
      > -- Arthur Guiterman

      T'ai Roulston
      Asst. Prof., Dept. Env. Sciences
      University of Virginia
      Associate Director
      Blandy Experimental Farm www.virginia.edu/blandy
      400 Blandy Farm Lane
      Boyce, Va. 22620 USA
      Ph# (540) 837-1758 ext 276 Fax (540) 837-1523
      http://www.people.virginia.edu/~thr8z/HomePage.html
    • Gretchen LeBuhn
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 19, 2006

        I’m happy to post any and all of these on the bee monitoring website – we’re working on upgrading it anyway.

        Gretchen LeBuhn

        Assistant Professor

        Department of Biology

        San Francisco State University

        San Francisco, CA 94132

        415-405-0729

        If you don't find a better place to post it, I could post the common
        bees of Washington , DC list as a separate web page on my own web
        site, which includes my ongoing list of bees from my field station
        (http://people. virginia. edu/~thr8z/ Bee_Diversity/ Blandy_Bee_ Diversity. php).
        It would be best, however, to have it as part of a broader
        compilation, if anyone has one or is working on one.

        T'ai

        At 10:12 AM 12/19/2006, you wrote:

        >All:
        >
        >Attached is a list of the common bees of the
        w:st="on">Washington D.C. area,
        >based on our surveys over the past several years. While we do plan
        >to publish a complete list at some point, you know how that goes,
        >there is always another bee to find, and old specimens to track down
        >and verify. In the meantime, after a few years it becomes clear
        >what the generally common species are. That list is very useful to
        >those just beginning to do ecological, inventory, monitoring, or
        >research work.
        >
        >Consequently, I would like to challenge the other bee researchers
        >out there to do something similar for their research regions or
        >where they live. Format doesn't really matter. Although I don't
        >have a web site where we can post such things I bet Gretchen LeBuhn
        >or someone else does.....
        >
        >Just think about how handy that list would have been when you started.....
        >
        >Thanks.
        >
        >sam
        >

        >Sam Droege Sam_Droege@USGS. GOV
        >w 301-497-5840 h 301-390-7759 fax 301-497-5624
        > USGS
        w:st="on">Patuxent Wildlife Research Center
        >BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave.,
        w:st="on">Beltsville , MD 20705

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 19, 2006
          Gretchen:

          You are our hero...

          sam

          Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

          Nature makes the locust with an appetite for crops; man
          would have made him with an appetite for sand- I mean
          a man with the least little bit of common sense.
           - Mark Twain

          "Gretchen LeBuhn" <lebuhn@...>
          Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

          12/19/2006 03:33 PM