New: Mass Washing and Drying of Bees, the Video

  • Droege, Sam
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 13, 2014

      For those of you who have to process many batches of bees preserved in liquid we have a new technique and workflow that you might be interested in that uses a wrist action flask shaker and a small clothes dryer.

      Thanks to Dejen Mengis and Wayne Boo for putting this together!

      The video is here:

      sam

      Sam Droege  sdroege@...

      THE REALIST

      On the sandy downs beside the sea
      She found a feather, silver and black -
      Silver as salmon, black as jet,
      Blown from a gull's or a magpie's back.
      "Look!" she cried with a swift delight,
      "The lovliest thing this evening yet -
      A plume of faery, sable and white,
      A flutter of pierrot mystery,
      Oh look!" He nodded a careless head -
      "Just do to clean my pipe",  he said.

           Teresa Hooley

      --
      Bees are Not Optional
      Apes sunt et non liberum
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 13, 2014
        Nice job, guys. Two questions:

        (1) As sturdy as the bees are, do those beads never cause any damage to
        legs or antennae? I'm just thinking that, for general instruction
        purposes, you might suggest using something less projectile-like?
        Especially if using something like that duster in the mason jar, where
        the beads and bees are are flying around at very high speeds in a
        confined space.

        (2) I'm assuming you have tried this procedure but skipping the part
        with the full 20 minutes of agitation in detergent - if you just do the
        hot-water rinse (maybe even skipping a detergent step entirely), is
        there a noticeable difference in the end condition of the bees? After
        all, many (if not most) of us have no access to laboratory equipment
        like that shaker in the video, and we're also unlikely to want to stand
        for 20 minutes shaking a flask in our hands. Knowing the effects of
        reducing or eliminating this step would therefore make a big difference
        to us knowing whether or not it is really and truly worth it to adhere
        to this procedure.

        Thanks!