Biodiversity data could become a legal issue?

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 9, 2014
      Would someone please go to the following link and explain this to the rest of us?  Some of my Australian colleagues are taking this very seriously.

    • Charles Guevara
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 9, 2014
          In 1980, Diamond vrs Chakrabarty, US Supreme Court found by 5 to 4 justices, that living manmade microorganisms are  patentable.  My links never work: Patenting of a living organism

                So then we have patents on body cells, patents on organism proteins...with no royalties to the person the cells or proteins reside in.  And of course with no penalties or damage payments by the patent owners when GEMS hybridize with native species (happening in trout populations, microbes, other flora and fauna).

           Our Supreme Court has also found that: corporations are citizens (like flesh and blood citizens,,,hummm)...and enjoy the same rights as other citizens,  our Supreme Court has found that: money equals free speach.

           So it's bio-pioneering intelectual property 'land grab'...for data sets/bioinformatics/blurring onto bioresource datasets....so much for open access colaborations of researchers.

           I suggest the comon thread is exclusion of all too many of us from the 'five to four' legalities which are augmenting this trend to privitazation /patent sequester of the public comons.   charlie guevara

        On Monday, June 9, 2014 8:27 PM, "Peter Bernhardt bernhap2@... [beemonitoring]" <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Would someone please go to the following link and explain this to the rest of us?  Some of my Australian colleagues are taking this very seriously.

      • Marcia Motta Maues
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 20, 2014
          Dear folks,

          I would like kindly to ask you about any information on the "Knowledge of indigenous and local communities about the impacts of the decline of diversity and/or populations of pollinators worldwide". Everything you may have is importante (report, published study, thesis, etc).
          Thanks in advance for your help. You may send it to my emails marcia.maues@... or marciamaues@...
          All the best,

          Márcia Motta Maués

          Pesquisadora do Laboratório de Entomologia

          Embrapa Amazônia Oriental

          Empresa Brasileira de Pesquisa Agropecuária (Embrapa)
          Belém/PA

          marcia.maues@embrapa.br
          Telefone: +55 (91) 3204-1033
          |  Fax: +55 (91) 3276-9845  |  Skype marciamaues
          www.cpatu.embrapa.br | twitter.com/embrapa

          Confira também: www.facebook.com/agrosustentavel

          =

          Aviso de = confidencialidade.

          Esta mensagem da Empresa Brasileira de Pesq= uisa Agropecuária (Embrapa), empresa pùblica federal regi= da pelo disposto na Lei Federal no. 5.851, de 7 de dezembro de 1972, &= eacute; enviada exclusivamente a seu destinatário e pode conter i= nformações confidenciais, protegidas por sigilo profissional= . Sua utilização desautorizada é ilegal e sujeita o= infrator às penas da lei. Se você a recebeu indevidamente, = queira, por gentileza, reenviá-la ao emitente, esclarecendo o equ&i= acute;voco.

          Confidentiality note

          This message from= Empresa Brasileira de Pesquisa Agropecuária (Embrapa), a govern= ment company established under Brazilian law (5.851/72), is directed ex= clusively to its addressee and may contain confidential data, protected=under professional secrecy rules. Its unauthorized use is illegal and = may subject the transgressor to the law's penalties. If you are not the a= ddressee, please send it back, elucidating the failure.
          =

          =