Come Help with the Adirondack Bee Blitz at the end of June

  • Droege, Sam
    Message 1 of 1 , May 24, 2014

      I will be working with Stacy McNulty of SUNY ESF's Adirondack Ecological Center, Ezra Schwartzberg of Adirondack Research LLC and David Patrick of Paul Smiths College to survey a number of biologically interesting areas within the Adirondack Park as part of the ongoing Adirondack All-Taxa Biodiversity Inventory.  The project websites are here:  http://adkres.org/2014-bioblitz/ and http://www2.paulsmiths.edu/ATBI/index.php.

      The primary location is ESF's Huntington Wildlife Forest, a 6,000 ha managed research station in Newcomb, NY with a varied history of forestry, natural disturbance and largely intact native communities and aquatic habitats.  Here is a bird's-eye view of Arbutus Lake.  The property has a rich cultural history as well with remnant farmsteads, the philanthropic and scientific legacy of the Huntingtons and of course close access to the High Peaks, Essex Chain of Lakes, and other recreational amenities.  As an aside, I have to mention that I did my Master's here and had a blast. At one point I was having so much fun that they kicked me off the Forest, but they let me back in next year, whence I continued to have fun, but in a more muted way (I will tell you the whole story if you come).

      Listed below are the biological and educational goals of the inventory along with some logistics:
      • Dates:  June 26-30, 2014 (travel days on the 26th and 30th)
      • Objectives:
        • Objective 1:  Inventory bogs, barrens, alpine areas, and other areas likely to contain uncommon bee species
        • Objective 2:  Collect/photograph Bombus species, with eyes out for rare/declining B. affinis, B. terricola, B.frigidus, B. borealis, and B. rufocinctus, and perhaps we will be lucky and get some of the nest parasites.
        • Objective 3:  Demonstrate techniques to people interested in bee surveys and research.
      • Collecting days will be Saturday the 28th and Sunday the 29th...with options to collect prior to the event with special arrangements
        • 2-4 people from USGSBIML will attend
      • 29th of June will be a processing day for USGSBIML at the SUNY ESF Adirondack Interpretive Center where we will demo high throughput processing and hopefully will have group of people identifying bees too.
        • We will have our camera set up and one of us will be taking pictures the whole day, answering questions, and maybe letting you push the buttons.
        • A public lecture/workshop on our macro photography system at4 pm
        • Specimens will be labeled and dispersed to museums and interested parties after the event.
      • Housing options for experienced bee practitioners range from higher-end to rustic and include furnished cabins and dorms, nearby hotels/motels and state campgrounds.  SUNY ESF is providing housing at the ESF rate (half price); for both ESF and nearby options go to at http://www.esf.edu/aec/facilities/.  Once we know who is coming and dates we will send contact info for reserving housing.
      • Meals: Breakfast and Dinner are served at the campus' dining center (make your own bag lunch at breakfast).  Meals are hot, diverse and delicious.  ESF strives to accommodate special diets and needs.  There are several restaurants and diners in the area also - more info to come with reservations.
      • Permits will be required for collecting on public lands
        • If you are interested in collecting in particular areas let us know.
      Let Sam Droege (sdroege@...) know if you are interested and he will put you on the email list for the project and ask you more detailed questions about the who/what/where/when of your participation.
      • The general public is invited to help / visit on the 29th during the daylongBioBlitz.  Members of the public may help put out traps or hand collect on the other days but that will need to be coordinated through Sam Droege (sdroege@...)
      • Yes, we can almost promise that there will be black flies out!!!!, sadly they are likely to be in decline at this time of year.
      • You are welcome to bring your canoe or kayak (or rent one locally) but please leave any aquatic invaders at home.  Pets are not allowed at the field station.  Other campus policies are here.
      Relatively little is known about the bee fauna of the Adirondacks...this is your chance to help clear this up ... in particular as documentation prior to major regional climactic changes.  You also get to breathe fresh air and drink clean water (except that you probably will get Giardia later).

      Many thanks to Stacy McNulty, Ezra Schwartzberg and Dave Patrick for their encouragement and help.

      Bees are Not Optional
      Apes sunt et non liberum