Re: [beemonitoring] Disease spread vector

  • OOWONBS@Netscape.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 25, 2008
      >We could unwittingly introduce new problems to
      regions that lacked them before. Witness the spread of tracheal mites
      and Varroa mites by beekeepers around the US.

      >James H. Cane
      Utah State University, Logan, UT 84322 USA

      Trying to learn:
      An issue of sharing a pond bank with possibly diseased neighbor's
      bees, and "clean new" bees of the pond owner...

      Risk level?
      Are these mites more prevalent in nurses on brood?
      These become foragers, yes? Do mite infestations in foragers
      exist at near-same levels as nurses? ... indicating a reasonable
      (reasonably high/negative) risk when sharing banks of a small pond?

      Or is the risk equal as the vector is the visited flower, anyway?
      Or do bees not visit "previously-owned' flowers?
      (I thought I had read that. they tended not to.)

      (Request permission in advance to repost this,
      w/credit due to list & author(s.)
      BillSF9c
      http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/GardenBees ... New, 12 Members
    • Wilson, Michael E
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 25, 2008
        I don't think 'clean new' honey bees really exist. There would be
        some new disease some populations of honey bees wouldn't have,
        but the usual suspects are fairly endemic. Ponds and flowers are probably
        places bees can pick up diseases (maybe/ maybe-not mites), but the accepted
        thought that I understand is that robbing of dead honey bee colonies
        is the primary method 'not so infested' bees get very infested with
        mites and logically thinking, other diseases as well.
        And then of course there is the normal population build up of
        mites and nosema you get through the seasons from the mites and nosema
        that inevitably came with the new bees.

        My opinions,
        -Michael Wilson

        >We could unwittingly introduce new problems to
        regions that lacked them before. Witness the spread of tracheal mites
        and Varroa mites by beekeepers around the US.

        >James H. Cane
        Utah State University, Logan, UT 84322 USA

        Trying to learn:
        An issue of sharing a pond bank with possibly diseased neighbor's
        bees, and "clean new" bees of the pond owner...

        Risk level?
        Are these mites more prevalent in nurses on brood?
        These become foragers, yes? Do mite infestations in foragers
        exist at near-same levels as nurses? ... indicating a reasonable
        (reasonably high/negative) risk when sharing banks of a small pond?

        Or is the risk equal as the vector is the visited flower, anyway?
        Or do bees not visit "previously-owned' flowers?
        (I thought I had read that. they tended not to.)

        (Request permission in advance to repost this,
        w/credit due to list & author(s.)
        BillSF9c
        http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/GardenBees ... New, 12 Members
      • Marie Springer
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 25, 2008
          Any pathogens or parasites that exist in the environment will be shared by all bees that visit the same flowers.
          Bee keepers that pollinate crops move their bees, sometimes, to many states carrying diseases with them.
          Many bee suppliers travel to the south every spring to buy "packages" of bees bringing what ever pathogens and parasites were common on the south with them.
          Some  bee producers are meticulous about breeding their bees in state and not hauling them very far.  This allows bees to adapt to their climate and the naturally occurring stressors in the environment, in other words to build immune strength.
          Bee keepers have treated for all of the parasites and diseases for decades, this is nothing new.  In some places they kill them all off in the fall so as not to allow disease to continue, then they start back up with packages produced some place else.
          My opinion, as a bee keeper, is we must concentrate on breeding for immune strength.
          I don't treat my bees ; I want the weaker strains to die out.  I do treat my supers with a bleach solution once a hive has died out.
          We simply have to get smarter about breeding our bees.
          I have seen nests in the wild that survive for years, never having been treated for anything, that is a stronger strain that has time to build immune strength.

          Marie Springer, President
          Friends of Wallkill River
          National Wildlife Refuges
          1547 Route 565, Sussex, NJ 07461