ground nest bee

  • Rachna Pande
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 23, 2014
    dear friends I have observed so many some special nesting hole in my field (see attachment). but I have not observed any bee near to that hole.. can any body tell me the truth of that structure.   If they are nesting hole than I will do some work on diversity and conservation of pollinators specially for that area.

    --
    With regards,

    Dr. RACHNA PANDE
    Scientist, ARS (Entomology)
    Division of Crop Improvement
    ICAR Research Complex for NEH Region
    Umroi road, Umiam, 793 103
    Meghalaya
    INDIA

    " Smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight "
  • Doug Yanega
    Message 2 of 3 , Apr 23, 2014
      On 4/23/14 1:02 AM, Rachna Pande wrote:

      dear friends I have observed so many some special nesting hole in my field (see attachment). but I have not observed any bee near to that hole.. can any body tell me the truth of that structure.   If they are nesting hole than I will do some work on diversity and conservation of pollinators specially for that area.

      The shape, size, and location are all consistent with solitary bee nests, and especially important is the low scatter of tumulus near the holes. However, some 90% or more of ground nests can't be told apart by their entrances, so without capturing a bee or excavating a nest, you won't be able to identify the bees responsible. If I am estimating the diameter properly (I figure around 7 mm), in India the most likely candidates would probably be nomiine halictids.

      Peace,
    • John Plant
      Message 3 of 3 , Apr 23, 2014

        You can try placing clear plastic cups or jars over the nest openings in the morning to catch any outgoing bees.

        Sometimes this method works.

        Regards

        John Plant