Re: [beemonitoring] Re: The Soap Collecting Jar

  • OOWONBS@Netscape.net
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 6, 2008
      Anita,
      Is this valid for bees that have been in soapy water "all day,"
      bounced around in a shirt pocket, or just those... "under an hour?"

      Also, if my observation is correct, congrats on the best
      self-contained post, not requiring a Reply-To tag-a-log, much less,
      multiples tag-a-longs, as observed, (and as noted by YahOops
      auto-count of 11 messages in this Digest, below noted,)
      though the Digest enumerated just 5. (I think they missed
      some that were stuck together, LOL! )

      BillSF9c

      >Sam et al.

      >RE washing pollen off of soapy water collected bees. It takes some
      concerted
      efforts to shake up these bees in soapy water for washing off the
      pollen.
      Vigorous shaking for at least one minute, and that doesn't always do
      it. If
      one is just netting a bee and dropping it into soapy water for killing,
      I doubt
      you would lose all of the pollen. Maybe a pellet, yes, but not whats
      in the
      hairs.

      >Anita Collins
      >USDA, ARS retired

      Messages in this topic (11)
    • frozenbeedoc@cs.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 6, 2008
        BillSF9c et al.,

        Your question:
        Is this valid for bees that have been in soapy water "all day,"
        bounced around in a shirt pocket, or just those... "under an hour?"

        I think it's true even for those bounced around in a shirt pocket.  Unless of course you're doing some major jumping jacks.  I collect what's in the bowls (in soapy water 24-28 hrs), carry it around in netting for half hour or so, until I get back to the "lab in the car" and then put them in alcohol, whirl-paked.  More bouncing around in alcohol.  And you still have to vigorously shake for at least 60 secs in a small fruit jar in soapy water again.  Plus a number of rinses.  Even then, I still have some pollen in some corners, expecially the most hairy items.

        Enough to id the pollen?  I'd think so.

        Best,
        Anita

        BillSF9c

      • David_r_smith@fws.gov
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 9, 2008

          After reading about the concern regarding pollen loss when bees are collected and transported, I have to ask; Are ther standardized methods for collecting pollen fron collected bees and what references are out there to identify pollen (especially from the western United States).