Options for getting video of bees on flowers

  • Stoner, Kimberly
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 21, 2014

      Thanks to everyone who responded to my inquiries about equipment and methods for monitoring bees on flowers with video.  During this process, I realized that I would like to use a motion detector, so that I (or my assistant) can reduce the amount of time reviewing videos later.  I found out that, as they say, “There’s an app for that!” which led me to think about using an Ipod Touch so that I could use the app for video detection.  (There is a similar app for non-Apple smartphones, so those of you who have smartphones, Apple or other kinds, could probably use your phone as a motion-sensitive bee monitor!)

      Derek Artz clued me in on the Gorillapod tripods.  He is doing video of bees on almond flowers, and the Gorillapods are so flexible that he can wrap their legs around branches to make video at blossoms.  (He is doing continuous monitoring using Sony Handycams, which are less expensive than Ipods.)  Gorillapods have various options for mounting heads, one of which is a “Grip Tight” mounting head that can be used for a cellphone camera.

      Another less expensive method than using an Ipod would be adapting a security camera, which would already have motion detection, to improve the optics for close observation of bees.  I saw where someone put a PVC ring on the lens of a security camera and attached a macro lens, so that the camera would be appropriately focused for close-ups of bees on flowers.

      Here’s is what I am thinking of trying this summer:

      Ipod Touch camera – probably the 32 GB Ipod 5 – from the reviews it has a much better camera than the 16 GB Ipod Touch 5 or Ipod Touch 4 = $299

      http://store.apple.com/us/buy-ipod/ipod-touch

      Video Motion Detector App available through the ITunes App store – not infrared sensor (as in game cameras and bird cameras)but true motion detection.

      https://itunes.apple.com/app/motion-detector/id331443079?mt=8

      Gorillapod Grip Tight Stand (hybrid) to hold the Ipod in place  = $49.95

      http://joby.com/smartphones/griptight-gorillapod-hybrid

      Any further advice would be very welcome, and I’d be happy to share the information with others.

      Thanks to all,

      Kim

    • Stoner, Kimberly
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 26, 2014

        Hi again, bee folks,

        One update.  A few people emailed me recommending Ipod nanos as a cheaper alternative to the Ipod Touch.  I gather that only the 5th generation Ipod nanos had video cameras, but they are available on the secondhand market for $40-$50 and produce very good quality video.  I don’t know of a way of combining the Ipod nanos with video motion detection, however.

        Maybe the videos could be run through software that analyzes for motion detection?  I don’t know.

        Here is the citation for a paper where Ipod nanos were used:

        Lortie, C. J., Budden, A. E., & Reid, A. M. (2011). FROM BIRDS TO BEES: APPLYING VIDEO OBSERVATION TECHNIQUES TO INVERTEBRATE POLLINATORS. Journal of Pollination Ecology, 6.

        Kim