Calling Washington and Oregon Native Bee People

  • Droege, Sam
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 14, 2014

      All:

      I got the email below from Zorah Oppenheimer who is looking for connections with native bee people in the Pacific Northwest so that she can have greater impact in her work with pollinator friendly land conservation.   If you have specimens for her or live nearby she would appreciate the help (Reminder:  Just remember those who gave you a helping hand when you didn't know anything about bees....).

      Respond directly to Zorah as she is not on the list...

      Her email follows...

      I’m located in Vancouver, WA and I work for Clark Conservation District.  We are a quasi-government organization working towards conservation of natural resources.  We are promoting native pollinators in the area by educating local landowners.

      I’m looking for two things:

      1.       I’m looking for a list of all of the pollinator insects.  I’m looking in SW Washington specifically, but I would happily take a list of North American pollinators.  Do you have anything like that or have any suggestions?

      2.       We want an insect display that will show the public what common pollinators look like.  Do you have any suggestions for where to source local insects?  It seems that I can find rare butterflies, but not simple mason bees and other more “boring” pollinators.

      Zorah Oppenheimer

      Clark Conservation District

      email: zoppenheimer@...

      phone: 360.883.1987 ext. 118

      location: 11104 NE 149 St Bldg C-400

      Brush Prairie, WA 98606

      website: www.clarkcd.org

      --
      Bees are Not Optional
      Apes sunt et non liberum
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 15, 2014
        Sam and Zorah,
        I am the research coordinator at Olympic National Park. I'm an entomologist with a great interest in bees and would be happy to help you. We have regrettably not collected as much material here as we would like, but we've been trying to enhance our knowledge in several ways. I will be happy to share with you everything we have and can connect you to the "likely suspects" as far as gathering more information.

        I will be in my office on Monday March 17 and normally I'm in my office all day every day. But it happens that I'm tangled in a family emergency right now and may need to be away at various times over the next few weeks. Please call and leave a message. I'll get back to you when I can.

        I think yours is a noble effort and I'll certainly do what I can to help,

        Jerry

        Jerry Freilich, Ph.D.
        Research Coordinator, Olympic National Park
        Director, North Coast & Cascades Science Learning Network
        600 East Park Ave.
        Port Angeles, WA 98362
        Office: 360-565-3082
        iPhone: 360-477-3338

        "This is the most beautiful place on earth,
          there are many such places..."    Edward Abbey