Gaylussacia vs Vaccinium

  • Droege, Sam
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2014
      All

      My impression is that despite what is often an abundant understory plant and its close relationship to Blueberries that Huckleberries rarely have fewer native bees attending them (flowers are sparser, but not impossible to find).  I find bees on them occasionally, but not in abundance, unlike a good Vaccinium patch.  DL shows very few collecting records on Huckleberries too.

      Thoughts?

      sam

      The Fall Almost Nobody Sees

      Everybody's gone away.
      They think there's nothing left to see.
      The garish colors' flashy show is over.
      Now those of us who stay
      hunker down in sweet silence,
      blessed emptiness among

      red-orange shadblow
      purple-red blueberry
      copper-brown beech
      gold tamarack, a few
      remaining pale yellow
      popple leaves,
      sedge and fern in shades
      from beige to darkening red
      to brown to almost black,
      and all this in front of, below,
      among blue-green spruce and fir
      and white pine,

      all of it under gray skies,
      chill air, all of us waiting
      in the somber dank and rain,
      waiting here in quiet, chill
      November,
      waiting for the snow.

      - David Budbill

      --
      Bees are Not Optional
      Apes sunt et non liberum
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2014
        Sam,

        I know we collected a number of bees on Gaylussacia especially in 2010-2011, but I would have to look up which ones and how many when I am at work with my data. There was a good patch of it at MLBS by the pond/aquatics lab. More shrubs than Vaccinium right there.
        Barb

        Barbara J Abraham, PhD
        Associate Professor
        SEEDS Chapter Advisor