Common Bees of Washington D.C. - And a call for similar lists

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 19, 2006

      Attached is a list of the common bees of the Washington D.C. area, based on our surveys over the past several years.  While we do plan to publish a complete list at some point, you know how that goes, there is always another bee to find, and old specimens to track down and verify.  In the meantime, after a few years it becomes clear what the generally common species are.  That list is very useful to those just beginning to do ecological, inventory, monitoring, or research work.

      Consequently, I would like to challenge the other bee researchers out there to do something similar for their research regions or where they live.  Format doesn't really matter.  Although I don't have a web site where we can post such things I bet Gretchen LeBuhn or someone else does.....

      Just think about how handy that list would have been when you started.....

      Thanks.

      sam

      Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

      On the Vanity of Earthly Greatness

      The tusks which clashed in mighty brawls
      Of mastodons, are billiard balls.

      The sword of Charlemagne the Just
      Is Ferric Oxide, known as rust.

      The grizzly bear, whose potent hug,
      Was feared by all, is now a rug.

      Great Caesar's bust is on the shelf,
      And I don't feel so well myself.

              -- Arthur Guiterman

    • Craig Tufts
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 19, 2006
        Thanks Sam. Great resource. Am hoping to bee able to attend bee class in
        Feb.

        Craig

        >>> sdroege@... 12/19/2006 10:12:26 AM >>>
        All:

[...]

        BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave., Beltsville, MD 20705
        http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov

        On the Vanity of Earthly Greatness

        The tusks which clashed in mighty brawls
        Of mastodons, are billiard balls.

        The sword of Charlemagne the Just
        Is Ferric Oxide, known as rust.

        The grizzly bear, whose potent hug,
        Was feared by all, is now a rug.

        Great Caesar's bust is on the shelf,
        And I don't feel so well myself.

        -- Arthur Guiterman
      • T'ai Roulston
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 19, 2006
          Sam:

          If you don't find a better place to post it, I could post the common
          bees of Washington, DC list as a separate web page on my own web
          site, which includes my ongoing list of bees from my field station
          (http://people.virginia.edu/~thr8z/Bee_Diversity/Blandy_Bee_Diversity.php).
          It would be best, however, to have it as part of a broader
          compilation, if anyone has one or is working on one.

          T'ai

          At 10:12 AM 12/19/2006, you wrote:

          >All:
          >
          >Attached is a list of the common bees of the Washington D.C. area,
          >based on our surveys over the past several years. While we do plan
          >to publish a complete list at some point, you know how that goes,
          >there is always another bee to find, and old specimens to track down
          >and verify. In the meantime, after a few years it becomes clear
          >what the generally common species are. That list is very useful to
          >those just beginning to do ecological, inventory, monitoring, or
          >research work.
          >
          >Consequently, I would like to challenge the other bee researchers
          >out there to do something similar for their research regions or
          >where they live. Format doesn't really matter. Although I don't
          >have a web site where we can post such things I bet Gretchen LeBuhn
          >or someone else does.....
          >
          >Just think about how handy that list would have been when you started.....
          >
          >Thanks.
          >
          >sam
          >

          >Sam Droege Sam_Droege@...
          >w 301-497-5840 h 301-390-7759 fax 301-497-5624
          >USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center
          >BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave., Beltsville, MD 20705
          >Http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov
          >
          >On the Vanity of Earthly Greatness
          >
          >The tusks which clashed in mighty brawls
          >Of mastodons, are billiard balls.
          >
          >The sword of Charlemagne the Just
          >Is Ferric Oxide, known as rust.
          >
          >The grizzly bear, whose potent hug,
          >Was feared by all, is now a rug.
          >
          >Great Caesar's bust is on the shelf,
          >And I don't feel so well myself.
          >
          > -- Arthur Guiterman

          T'ai Roulston
          Asst. Prof., Dept. Env. Sciences
          University of Virginia
          Associate Director
          Blandy Experimental Farm www.virginia.edu/blandy
          400 Blandy Farm Lane
          Boyce, Va. 22620 USA
          Ph# (540) 837-1758 ext 276 Fax (540) 837-1523
          http://www.people.virginia.edu/~thr8z/HomePage.html
        • Gretchen LeBuhn
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 19, 2006

            I’m happy to post any and all of these on the bee monitoring website – we’re working on upgrading it anyway.

            Gretchen LeBuhn

            Assistant Professor

            Department of Biology

            San Francisco State University

            San Francisco, CA 94132

            415-405-0729

            If you don't find a better place to post it, I could post the common
            bees of Washington , DC list as a separate web page on my own web
            site, which includes my ongoing list of bees from my field station
            (http://people. virginia. edu/~thr8z/ Bee_Diversity/ Blandy_Bee_ Diversity. php).
            It would be best, however, to have it as part of a broader
            compilation, if anyone has one or is working on one.

            T'ai

            At 10:12 AM 12/19/2006, you wrote:

            >All:
            >
            >Attached is a list of the common bees of the
            w:st="on">Washington D.C. area,
            >based on our surveys over the past several years. While we do plan
            >to publish a complete list at some point, you know how that goes,
            >there is always another bee to find, and old specimens to track down
            >and verify. In the meantime, after a few years it becomes clear
            >what the generally common species are. That list is very useful to
            >those just beginning to do ecological, inventory, monitoring, or
            >research work.
            >
            >Consequently, I would like to challenge the other bee researchers
            >out there to do something similar for their research regions or
            >where they live. Format doesn't really matter. Although I don't
            >have a web site where we can post such things I bet Gretchen LeBuhn
            >or someone else does.....
            >
            >Just think about how handy that list would have been when you started.....
            >
            >Thanks.
            >
            >sam
            >

            >Sam Droege Sam_Droege@USGS. GOV
            >w 301-497-5840 h 301-390-7759 fax 301-497-5624
            > USGS
            w:st="on">Patuxent Wildlife Research Center
            >BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave.,
            w:st="on">Beltsville , MD 20705

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 19, 2006
              Gretchen:

              You are our hero...

              sam

              Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

              Nature makes the locust with an appetite for crops; man
              would have made him with an appetite for sand- I mean
              a man with the least little bit of common sense.
               - Mark Twain

              "Gretchen LeBuhn" <lebuhn@...>
              Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

              12/19/2006 03:33 PM

              Please respond to
              beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

              <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>
              cc
              Subject
              RE: [beemonitoring] Common Bees of Washington D.C. - And a  call for similar lists

              (