Re: [beemonitoring] The Soap Collecting Jar

  • T'ai Roulston
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 4, 2008

       The advantage of bowls for general surveys is that they are more replicable than following the ramblings, skill, and proclivities of a person with a net.

      Sam:

      A lot of people are repeating statements similar to this, casually and in submitted manuscripts.  Certainly, any standardized collecting is more repeatable than non-standardized collecting (the rambling, skill, and proclivity part). Is pan-trapping more repeatable than standardized intensive netting? It probably is, but I haven't seen the data yet. There can certainly be big differences among collectors in catching small or speedy insects, but the variability of pan trap catch with placement can be extraordinary as well.  Repeatability is likely to be strongly related to sampling effort (number of collectors/collecting time or number of pan traps) plus variation related to biases in method. None of these factors are well documented or, to my knowledge, easily generalized at this point.

      T'ai

      T'ai Roulston
      Associate Director Blandy Experimental Farm
      Research Assoc. Prof. Environmental Sciences
      University of Virginia
      400 Blandy Farm Lane
      Boyce, VA 22620
      540 837-1758 ext 276

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 5, 2008

        T'ai:

        True, I am generalizing based on experience rather than on data.  Other than some rather small references in papers to differences in observers in netting capture rates I can't think of anything published that looks at comparisons in variability in any set of different techniques.   Maybe some design like this:

        Perhaps use 6 collectors (3 experienced, 3 neophyte) and 18 Study Sites (Vernal bottomlands, transmission lines, or fields, 1 Hectare but perhaps larger so their is a larger collection of bees to sample from)

        Day 1.  Observers are assigned to the 18 sites (3 each) in which they set out bowls in the early a.m. and then net for 1 hour during the middle of the day.
        Day 2. Observers do an additional 3 sites allocated in such as way that all pairs of observers have been matched.  (note that there would be 3 extra sites on day 2)

        It would be nice to repeat this at another 18 sites so that the number of bees wouldn't be exhausted at a site.,.... or perhaps better... simply wait several weeks and do it again on the same sites

        That's my initial idea.  I have a feeling there is a more parsimonious design out there somewhere but can't think of it at this point.   I am also concerned that because we are dealing with day, site, observer, and technique factors here that our degrees of freedom might be eaten up.  This would be a grand summer student project. .... How about doing it at Blandy this summer?  I would be glad to come down to participate.

        sam

        Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

        Albert Einstein
        “Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.”

        T'ai Roulston <thr8z@...>
        Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

        06/04/2008 09:35 PM

        Please respond to
        beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

        beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
        cc
        Subject
[...]

        thr8z@...

      • T'ai Roulston
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 5, 2008
          Sam:

          Your basic design is reasonable and it would be great to have someone do something similar sometime. An hour of netting is definitely not sufficient and there is no doubt that bowls would win hands-down for repeatability in most circumstances with such limited net collecting. The hour that people use to accompany bowls now is not for a real faunal survey but rather to get some things that bowls miss. In my current community surveys with nets, I use something on the order of 10 collecting hours per day per site (with a substantial crew, total duration depending on the number of plant species of interest). Obviously, only people with substantial resources (human and otherwise) and a need for data of faunal associations can deploy that kind of effort. What is really needed is a comparison of sampling efforts (how many bowls are necessary --data you probably have in spades-- for species accumulation curves or other metrics to flatten) and how many net hours of sampling by single collectors are required for the same saturation estimates. When that is established, the variability of collectors can be thrown in to understand the relationship between sampling effort and method bias.  I train novel net collectors every year for intensive field work. I don't have systematic data for comparisons of individual collectors (I make sure that everyone collects on all plants to avoid systematic person x plant collection biases), but I am impressed with how quickly people get good at collecting. I think that most but not all biases from individual collectors can be controlled by sampling protocols. Selection of method should always depend on the ultimate goal for the data and which types of biases and limitations are most tolerable.

          T'ai

          Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@USGS. GOV
          Http://www.pwrc. usgs.gov

          Albert Einstein
          “Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.”

          P Please don't print this e-mail unless really needed.

          T'ai Roulston <thr8z@virginia. edu>

          thr8z@virginia. edu

          T'ai Roulston
          Associate Director, Blandy Experimental Farm
          Research Assoc. Professor, Dept Envi Sci. University of Virginia
          400 Blandy Farm Lane
          Boyce, VA 22620

        • Jerry_Freilich@nps.gov
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 5, 2008
            I've been following this thread with some interest. I've always felt
            sympathy for E.O Wilson who turned to ants because of a vision problem
            resulting from an accident. I have no excuse as good as Uncle Ed's, but
            I've always felt that I don't have very good hand/eye coordination in
            netting small, fast-moving bees. When I'm with other bee folks, I always
            miss the things they catch. I've tended to use pan collectors and other
            bulk traps simply because I'm not good at the other stuff despite having
            had excellent teachers. I've always assumed that the pan collecting may be
            more repeatable but that perhaps I'm missing the "good stuff" I'd only be
            able to get by being an expert, and by being fast.

            T'ai's comments on teaching novices and inter-observer differences rang a
            bell. I worked on a similar problem years ago when screening people to
            search for desert tortoises. In a controlled experiment on replicated
            plots, I found that certain people were markedly better than others at
            finding tortoises, but that previous experience at doing this work was NOT
            a predictor of that ability. In other words, there were pronounced
            differences among people in developing a search image, staying focused, or
            discerning patterns, but that previous experience did not necessarily help
            with this. These results suggested that spending some time to find those
            talented searchers would be worthwhile. I also tried using a page from
            "Where's Waldo?" as a quick surrogate to see if it was any predictor. I.e.,
            to see if people with better Waldo finding skills would be better tortoise
            finders. That didn't work out, but I still think that people vary widely in
            their ability to pick up on things and that that talent should be sought
            out and rewarded. The skill sets used with bees and tortoises may be very
            different but I bet that the underlying principles are likely the same.
            While researching the paper I found that there were relatively few studies
            on inter-observer bias. (Freilich, J.E. and E.L. LaRue. 1998. Importance of
            observer experience in finding desert tortoises. Journal of Wildlife
            Management 62 (2): 590-596.)

            Jerry
            __________________________
            Jerry Freilich, Ph.D.
            Research Coordinator, Olympic National Park
            Coordinator, North Coast & Cascades Research Learning Network
            Olympic National Park
            600 E. Park Ave.
            Port Angeles, WA 98362

            Phone: 360-565-3082
            Fax: 360-565-3070
            Cell: 360-477-3338
            Jerry_Freilich@...

            "This is the most beautiful place on earth,
            there are many such places..."
            Edward Abbey
            ___________________________

            T'ai Roulston
            <thr8z@virginia.e
            du> To
            Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
            beemonitoring@yah cc
            oogroups.com
            Subject
            Re: [beemonitoring] The Soap
            06/05/2008 09:01 Collecting Jar
            AM AST

            Please respond to
            beemonitoring@yah
            oogroups.com

[...]

            BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave., Beltsville, MD 20705

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 5, 2008
              Jerry:

              Very interesting comparison.  There is quite a large literature on inter-observer differences now in bird counts, particularly the common point count system.  The results demonstrate that, no surprise, there are quite large differences in abilities to detect birds among observers.  Due to all of that we almost always model in an observer co-variable when looking at trend data.  A similar thing is generally to be expected in any skill-based system of counting or catching wildlife as your turtle work clearly shows (very interesting there wasn't a clear association with training!).  I think the main feature in the case of bowls is the more interesting notion of whether people somehow affect capture rates due to a way they may be laying out the bowls and also whether bowl captures are more variable due to differential capture rates under different conditions.

              In the later regard we have 2 projects this summer that hopefully will bear on the topic of variability of captures due to extrinsic factors.

              1.  Patty String will be working in Northern Virginia on stormwater ponds.  These ubiquitous ponds are mown once a year through a county contract and she has been collecting permissions from the various landowners to do a before/after/control/treatment experiment.  The general idea is to see if capture rates change (generally thought to increase) after mowing due to a loss of nectar resources and perhaps an increased visibility.

              2.  Leo Shapiro will be working with Region 5 (Virginia to New England) National Wildlife Refuges to look at variability of bowl captures across and among refuges on a set of fields on a fixed day and in some cases across several days.  This will give us some idea about how bowl captures of bees vary from field to field which will give us some sense of sample size allocation, biodiversity estimation, uniformity (or lack there of) of regional populations of bees, etc.  Leo emailed today and we will be talking tomorrow about the possibility of adding a separate net component, but since we only got one third of what we requested, we likely won't be able to do that much.

              sam

              Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

              Excuse my wandering.
              How can one be orderly with this?
              It's like counting leaves in a garden,
              along with the sound notes of partridges,
              and crows.
              Sometimes organization
              and computation become absurd.
                                 Rumi

              Jerry_Freilich@...
              Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

              06/05/2008 11:43 AM

[...]

              <
              thr8z@virginia.e
              du> To

            • frozenbeedoc@cs.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 5, 2008
                Sam et al.

                RE washing pollen off of soapy water collected bees.  It takes some concerted efforts to shake up these bees in soapy water for washing off the pollen.   Vigorous shaking for at least one minute, and that doesn't always do it.  If one is just netting a bee and dropping it into soapy water for killing, I doubt you would lose all of the pollen.  Maybe a pellet, yes, but not whats in the hairs.

                Anita  Collins
                USDA, ARS retired
              • OOWONBS@Netscape.net
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 6, 2008
                  Anita,
                  Is this valid for bees that have been in soapy water "all day,"
                  bounced around in a shirt pocket, or just those... "under an hour?"

                  Also, if my observation is correct, congrats on the best
                  self-contained post, not requiring a Reply-To tag-a-log, much less,
                  multiples tag-a-longs, as observed, (and as noted by YahOops
                  auto-count of 11 messages in this Digest, below noted,)
                  though the Digest enumerated just 5. (I think they missed
                  some that were stuck together, LOL! )

                  BillSF9c

                  >Sam et al.

                  >RE washing pollen off of soapy water collected bees. It takes some
                  concerted
                  efforts to shake up these bees in soapy water for washing off the
                  pollen.
                  Vigorous shaking for at least one minute, and that doesn't always do
                  it. If
                  one is just netting a bee and dropping it into soapy water for killing,
                  I doubt
                  you would lose all of the pollen. Maybe a pellet, yes, but not whats
                  in the
                  hairs.

                  >Anita Collins
                  >USDA, ARS retired

                  Messages in this topic (11)
                • frozenbeedoc@cs.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 6, 2008
                    BillSF9c et al.,

                    Your question:
                    Is this valid for bees that have been in soapy water "all day,"
                    bounced around in a shirt pocket, or just those... "under an hour?"

                    I think it's true even for those bounced around in a shirt pocket.  Unless of course you're doing some major jumping jacks.  I collect what's in the bowls (in soapy water 24-28 hrs), carry it around in netting for half hour or so, until I get back to the "lab in the car" and then put them in alcohol, whirl-paked.  More bouncing around in alcohol.  And you still have to vigorously shake for at least 60 secs in a small fruit jar in soapy water again.  Plus a number of rinses.  Even then, I still have some pollen in some corners, expecially the most hairy items.

                    Enough to id the pollen?  I'd think so.

                    Best,
                    Anita

                    BillSF9c

                  • David_r_smith@fws.gov
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 9, 2008

                      After reading about the concern regarding pollen loss when bees are collected and transported, I have to ask; Are ther standardized methods for collecting pollen fron collected bees and what references are out there to identify pollen (especially from the western United States).