New Graduate Student Requesting Information/Advice/Help/Anything and Everything!

  • Hamblin, April
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 16, 2013
      Hello, everyone! I hope that you are all getting ready to enjoy some time off, or at least some time alone with bee work, to brighten the holidays.

      My name is April Hamblin and I am a new graduate student at NC State University.

      I was wondering if you might be able to help me. I am working on starting my research for my dissertation. I am going to be studying native bees in Raleigh and Asheville, NC. I am trying to look at climate change and urbanization effects on the native bee community.

      To do this, I plan to compare current data to historic collections. I also plan to look at current data by itself just in case the historical collections are not as I have imagined such as there are not as many specimens as I had thought or the locality label is not complete.

       I was wondering if anyone might be able to tell me if they have worked in Raleigh or Asheville, NC, the counties, Wake Co and Buncombe Co., or know of any work that has occurred in these areas about native bees?

      I realize my goals are a bit stretched too thin if I only look at my data, but if I am able to compare different current research (such as yours) to different historical research at different museums, then perhaps it will be more doable.

      Also, I am trying to get TB Mitchell's bees databased at NCSU. Do you have any suggestions or advice on how to do this. There are many bees and only Megachilidae has been databased, I believe, but not much of anything else. I think this would be a great resource to database for my research, but more importantly for the overall historical knowledge of bees, available for others to utilize as well.

      I appreciate your help very much and hope you have a wonderful holiday!

      Sincerely,
      April Hamblin
      (609)513-3930

    • David Inouye
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 16, 2013
        http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=503559&org=DBI is a
        National Science Foundation program that provides support for digitization.