Re: [beemonitoring] robbing

  • David Inouye
    Message 1 of 16 , May 30, 2008
      Nancy - I don't know about blueberries in particular, but in some
      species nectar robbers can effect pollination. See this paper:

      Maloof, J. E. and D. W. Inouye. 2000. Are nectar robbers cheaters or
      mutualists? Ecology 81:2651-2661.

      At 09:14 AM 5/30/2008, you wrote:

      >I am monitoring bees on various crops, taking visitation counts. On
      >blueberries, after peak flowering, carpenter bees cut holes into the
      >flowers and rob nectar. These holes are then used by honey bees, as
      >well. I have been including these in monitoring counts, but
      >realized I should probably remove them. Any thoughts from you all
      >on this? Does anyone know if the robbers still improve pollination
      >on self-fertile flowers? Thanks for your thoughts. Nancy
      >
      >--
      >Nancy Adamson
      >Graduate Student in Entomology at Virginia Tech
      >tel: 540-231-6498

    • nancy lee adamson
      Message 2 of 16 , May 30, 2008
        Michael and other potential collaborators,

        I think it would be wonderful if we could try to standardize a methodology, but this is just my second summer, and I realize that the work I'm patterning my research on is based on many years of study and experience that I don't yet have.  I hope I've understood  the methodology well and apologize if  I'm misrepresenting it below.

        For monitoring visitation this year, I've been using a methodology patterned on Rachael Winfree's work, with 45 second visual counts of flowers open and visitors at open flowers each meter along a 40 meter transect.  I distinguish honey bees, bumblebees, carpenter bees (and now hope to see if I have something besides Xylocopa virginica here) and have grouped the rest into medium and small bees, plus, large, medium and small wasps, ants, Lepidoptera (noting species, if possible).  This is followed with netting at flower for 30 minutes for identification later to species.  For apples and blueberries, I tried to sample in the a.m. and the p.m. (Winfree used three sampling periods, I believe), though temperatures and weather didn't always permit this at my sites.  I also used bowl traps each day on site, recognizing that these trap a lot of non-pollinator species.  For squash, I expect to sample twice, but once very early and once later in the morning).

        I welcome suggestions, as I will be working on some vegetable crops and brambles later this summer, and could adjust the methodology.

        Nancy

        On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 11:43 AM, Wilson, Michael E <mwilso14@...> wrote:

        "Did you inquire earlier about trap nests? Have you incorporated that into your project?"

        Yes we did, but no use as of yet. My lab partner found another southeastern study where
        only wasps used trap nests. I don't know how effective they may be in the southeast.

        Anyone have any luck with trap nests in the southeast?

        One site has Osmia nesting in fences, but not utilizing the trap nests. I've seen some
        Osmia on blueberries where I put a trap nest, but no use there either. We have 10 of them
        out and will increase that substantially next year, depending on $&time.

        Sounds like a very different scenario at your locations too. Nearly all the bumble bees I saw,
        which where few, were queens. I would be willing to cooperate standardization of data collection
        if you, and others in nearby regions, would be interested in working together on that.

        -Michael Wilson

        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
          Dear Nancy,

          Bob Danka, at the ARS honey bee lab in Baton Rouge, LA did a bunch of work on rabbit-eye blueberry pollination some years ago.  His e-mail is rdanka@....  They also have a Web page reached through www.usda.gov.

          Sincerely,
          Anita Collins
        • Wilson, Michael E
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 4, 2008
            Jim or others. Can you make sure what I'm calling a legitamite pollinator visitor on blueberry
            is correct? When the bee enters through the end of the flower to access the reward, I'm calling
            that legitamite, and only ID a visit as robbing when they get the reward from the side of the flower.
            Am I missing anything that I should be watching for like sonication?

            I noticed that the legitamite visit bees usually had pollen on them while robbers never did. I saw
            many Xylocopa virginica legitamitely visiting flowers, as defined by my above assumptions. They usually
            had pollen on them.

            Thanks,
            Michael

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 4, 2008

              Michael- I agree with your interpretation of behaviors and positioning on flowers that constitutes robbing or not.  I wouldn’t think you’d have Xylocopa micans (yet) as far north as Knoxville .  You could easily check those pollen loads (I presume you are talking about Vaccinium), as the pollen tetrads are distinctive relative to most anything you’d see there outside of the Ericaceae, I think.  If you have legit pollen foraging and pollination by X. virginica in blueberries, well, you’re opening a revised chapter in the story that will require some explanatory thought!

              Yours,

              jim

              ===============================

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 11, 2008
                    Nancy, I had missed your previous ‘methods’ email, but I found it on the list. I have been out of town for a class, but am back now. My direct email is mwilso14@... if you want to discuss directly.

                    I’ll describe my methods but keep in mind at two summers experience, you have one more year experience then I.

                    I’m looking at blueberries and cucurbits, but have a different method for each since I’m interested in different questions for those. It could be an advantage to have the same method for squash and blueberries though. A 40 meter transect would be larger than one of my locations. I decided against a bee per flower variable for blueberries due to the many number of flowers per bush. Many flowers are not quite open, but look open at a glance. So I instead went with bees per bush. I’m using % flowering per bush, which is rather subjective but I think its sufficient for my needs, and number of plants per location to check for flowering strength effect on bee numbers per bush. If this seems off, someone feel free to interject. Below is the basics of the blueberry method:

                    For blueberries, the response variable will be visitation rate per bush by species group. Ten random blueberry bushes at each location (minimum 7 locations) will be observed on at least 2 separate occasions per location (I may increase to 3 if time allows, or decrease location #). Each blueberry bush, will be observed for 5 minutes. Bushes will be rated by percentage flowering to determine if flowering strength effects pollinator number. Pollinators will be counted and organized by species groups of honey bees, bumble bees, carpenter bees, bright green bees, Osmia bees, Habropoda laboriosa, Diptera, Lepidoptera, and other Hymenoptera. Robbing or legitimate visits will be noted to determine if the insect is actually pollinating the flower, or instead, robbing nectar and bypassing pollination. Sex will be noted for carpenter bees to determine if males significantly rob more then females. My preliminary data indicates this.

                    I am also noting specific families of bees, Lepidoptera, etc. not on the above list if I can distinguish them in the field, like the hummingbird moth, syrphids, etc.

                    My main questions with blueberries are;

                    What are the primary and minor pollinators of blueberry?
                    What contribution do unmanaged bees provide toward pollination of blueberry compared to honey bees?
                    What contribution do carpenter bees provide towards pollination?
                    What factors influence carpenter bee robbing, such as nesting females (whom would need pollen) or other factors (planting size, etc.)?

                    I should also note I did not see a single Habropoda at 5 of the above observation periods in East TN. A farmer co-operator in southern, middle TN whom is also doing the protocol saw one Habropoda (determined by his observation and a not so great photo) among 4 observation periods.

                    For Cucurbits (watermelon, yellow squash, and pumpkin), I’m using 100 flower transects to get the bee per flower variable. I’ll be following the protocol in:

                    Willis D. S. and Kevan, P. G. (1995). Foraging dynamics of Peponapis pruinosa (Hymenoptera: Anthophoridae) on pumpkin (Cucurbita pepo) in Southern Ontario. The Candadian Entomologist 127: 167.

                    and

                    Shuler, R.E., Roulston, T. H., Farris, G.E. (2005). Farming practicies influence wild pollinator populations on squash and pumpkin. Journal of Economic Entomology 98(3): 790-795.

                    I will also provide data for/compatible to Jim Cane’s Squash Pollinators of the Americas Survey.

                    During 2009 I would like to do some bagging experiments and data analysis like in:

                    Winfree, R., Williams, N. M., Dushoff, J., and Kremen, C. (2007). Native bees provide insurance against ongoing honey bee losses. Ecology Letters 10: 1105-1113.

                    But time and money is an unknown at this point. I would continue to use the 100 flower transect, but use methods in Winfree for pollen deposition and data analysis.

                    Squash questions will be typical of Shuler et al and Winfree et al.

                    Suggestions/comments welcome!

                    -Michael Wilson