[BULK or SPAM] RE: [beemonitoring] robbing

  • Mark Kraemer
    Message 1 of 2 , May 30, 2008
      Michael,

      Trap nests often attract local Osmia bees if placed out early in year,
      before tree bloom, and in a good location. If nest shelters are left
      up into late spring and summer the holes will be utilized by wasps which
      provision their nests with spiders, at least in central Virginia.
      Blueberries would be rather late for Osmia lignaria and not the type of
      flower they generally prefer. To establish their nests they need
      redbud, boxelder, or other early flowering trees in the area of the
      nest boxes. Please let me know if you see them on blueberries.

      - Mark Kraemer

      >>> mwilso14@... 5/30/2008 10:43 AM >>>
      "Did you inquire earlier about trap nests? Have you incorporated that
      into your project?"

      Yes we did, but no use as of yet. My lab partner found another
      southeastern study where
      only wasps used trap nests. I don't know how effective they may be in
      the southeast.

      Anyone have any luck with trap nests in the southeast?

      One site has Osmia nesting in fences, but not utilizing the trap nests.
      I've seen some
      Osmia on blueberries where I put a trap nest, but no use there either.
      We have 10 of them
      out and will increase that substantially next year, depending on
      $&time.

      Sounds like a very different scenario at your locations too. Nearly all
      the bumble bees I saw,
      which where few, were queens. I would be willing to cooperate
      standardization of data collection
      if you, and others in nearby regions, would be interested in working
      together on that.

      -Michael Wilson

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 4, 2008
        I'm 95% sure that I saw 3 O. lignaria on blueberry flowers this spring.
        I didn't collect them so cant say%100. I'll be sure and try to collect any I see next
        year to positive ID them.

        >>> mwilso14@... <mailto:mwilso14%40utk.edu> 5/30/2008 10:43 AM >>>