smart phone/field microscope/camera - $10.00 U.S.

  • Droege, Sam
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 18, 2013
      All:

      Someone recently showed me this very inexpensive platform for taking at least reasonable macro pictures with your smart phone

      I have seen a number of similar ones, but this strikes me as particularly useful as it is:

      1.  Inexpensive.
      2.  Creates a stable platform for cell phone and specimen
      3.  Allows focusing
      4.  Would allow even the potential for primitive focus stacking (see free stacking software called combine-z)
      5.  Would work well in combination with CO2 or chilled specimens
      6.  Requires very low power to operate
      7.  Pieces are readily available
      8.  In addition to taking pictures it, in reality, would act as a microscope for identification or work on tagging/marking individuals
      9.  Creates entry level possibilities for students and amateurs with no microscope

      sam

      Sam Droege  sdroege@...

      In the Microscope

      Here too are the dreaming landscapes,
      lunar, derelict.
      Here too are the masses,
      tillers of the soil.
      And cells, fighters
      who lay down their lives for a song.

      Here too are cemeteries,
      fame and snow.
      And I hear the murmuring,
      the revolt of immense estates.

           -- Miroslav Holub

      --
      Bees are Not Optional
      Ong là không bắt buộc
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2014

      Hi, All –

      Thanks to yet another snowstorm, I had a chance to try the camera platform mentioned below.

      http://petapixel.com/2013/10/19/turn-smartphone-microscope-macro-photography-rig-10/

      The attached pics were taken with an iPhone 5. If you're looking for an inexpensive way to take decent close-up shots, this platform is a great tool. It's rather fun to experiment with, too! Folks w/ a bit of photography know-how can probably tinker w/ the settings a bit to get even crisper images.

      Lisa Kuder

      PS - Sorry if this posts twice . . . the 1st attempt didn't seem to work . . . likely user error.