Re: [beemonitoring] robbing

  • David Inouye
    Message 1 of 16 , May 30, 2008
      Nancy - I don't know about blueberries in particular, but in some
      species nectar robbers can effect pollination. See this paper:

      Maloof, J. E. and D. W. Inouye. 2000. Are nectar robbers cheaters or
      mutualists? Ecology 81:2651-2661.

      At 09:14 AM 5/30/2008, you wrote:

      >I am monitoring bees on various crops, taking visitation counts. On
      >blueberries, after peak flowering, carpenter bees cut holes into the
      >flowers and rob nectar. These holes are then used by honey bees, as
      >well. I have been including these in monitoring counts, but
      >realized I should probably remove them. Any thoughts from you all
      >on this? Does anyone know if the robbers still improve pollination
      >on self-fertile flowers? Thanks for your thoughts. Nancy
      >
      >--
      >Nancy Adamson
      >Graduate Student in Entomology at Virginia Tech
      >tel: 540-231-6498

    • Hendrix, Stephen D
      Message 2 of 16 , May 30, 2008
        I've been conducting some trap nest experiments around Iowa City (east-central IA) for the past two summers. We've tried out wood blocks with holes drilled of various sizes and sets of bamboo tubes. We've placed these in small prairie remnants. We get some bees (not identified yet to species-definitely Megachilidae and probably Ceratina) and lots of wasps. Double occupancy is common with bees and wasps in the same tube - maybe sequentially over the summer.

        Cheers,
        Steve Hendrix

        Message 3 of 16 , May 30, 2008
          I have two of the earliest highbush licensed from the University of Florida. In these varieties in the panhandle of Florida I have noticed the robbing occur at first bloom which is very early here (March). There were no honey bees at that time. The bees were the larger of our two carpenter bee species.

          --
          Nancy Adamson
          Graduate Student in Entomology at Virginia Tech
          tel: 540-231-6498
        • Cane, Jim
          Message 4 of 16 , May 30, 2008

            Nancy- from my dozen or so years with rabbiteye blueberry pollination and pollinators, it was clear that Xylocopa virginica was only visiting the flowers to rob for nectar, year in, year out, throughout the season.  Once they were doing this, it did not take long for honeybees to learn to use the holes and then they two only robbed the flowers.  Where an early cultivar (like ‘Climax’) preceded carpenter bee flight in a given year, or where carpenter bees were scarce, honey bees would visit legitimately.  Where other pollinators (esp. Habropoda laboriosa) were abundant, honey bee pollination efficacy was awful (I think because they could remove little pollen from flowers with their weak ability to shake the anthers).  I’ll add a few citations of mine for you below.

            If Xylocopa micans has made it as far north as you (it was increasing in central Alabama as I was leaving…in past decades, it was a far south bee), it made me refine my generalizations, as I found several audibly sonicating rabbiteye blueberry flowers for pollen, something I never heard from thousands of X. virginica.  One year, to my surprise, I also found honeybees vainly probing my little black Sharpie marks on rabbiteye corollas, as though they were holes.  Naturally, I set up an experiment for this the following year and failed to elicit the response.  I still think it could be a cool behavioral experiment to study the early individual learning of floral robbery.

            So my short answer is that no robbing honey bee or carpenter bee should be counted as a potential pollinator, and it may be the majority of them in many contexts.

            Yours,

            Jim

            Cane, J. H. and J. A. Payne. 1990.  Native bee pollinates rabbiteye blueberry. Highlights of Agricultural Research 37:4.

            Cane, J. H. and J. A. Payne. 1993.  Regional, annual and seasonal variation in pollinator guilds: intrinsic traits of bees (Hymenoptera: Apoidea) underlie their patterns of abundance at Vaccinium ashei ( Eric aceae). Ann. Entomol. Soc. Amer. 86:577-588.

            Cane, J. H. 1997. Lifetime monetary value of individual pollinators: the bee Habropoda laboriosa at rabbiteye blueberry (Vaccinium ashei Reade). Acta Horticulturae 446:67-70.

            Sampson, B. J. and J. H. Cane. 2000. Pollination efficiencies of three bee (Hymenoptera : Apoidea) species visiting rabbiteye blueberry. J. Econ. Entomol. 93:1726-1731.

            ===============================

            James H. Cane

            Utah State University , Logan , UT 84322 USA

            tel: 435-797-3879   FAX: 435-797-0461

            email: Jim.Cane@...

            web page: www.ars.usda.gov/npa/beelab

            "Embrace entropy"

          • nancy lee adamson
            Message 5 of 16 , May 30, 2008
              Michael and other potential collaborators,

              I think it would be wonderful if we could try to standardize a methodology, but this is just my second summer, and I realize that the work I'm patterning my research on is based on many years of study and experience that I don't yet have.  I hope I've understood  the methodology well and apologize if  I'm misrepresenting it below.

              For monitoring visitation this year, I've been using a methodology patterned on Rachael Winfree's work, with 45 second visual counts of flowers open and visitors at open flowers each meter along a 40 meter transect.  I distinguish honey bees, bumblebees, carpenter bees (and now hope to see if I have something besides Xylocopa virginica here) and have grouped the rest into medium and small bees, plus, large, medium and small wasps, ants, Lepidoptera (noting species, if possible).  This is followed with netting at flower for 30 minutes for identification later to species.  For apples and blueberries, I tried to sample in the a.m. and the p.m. (Winfree used three sampling periods, I believe), though temperatures and weather didn't always permit this at my sites.  I also used bowl traps each day on site, recognizing that these trap a lot of non-pollinator species.  For squash, I expect to sample twice, but once very early and once later in the morning).

              I welcome suggestions, as I will be working on some vegetable crops and brambles later this summer, and could adjust the methodology.

              Nancy

              --

            • frozenbeedoc@cs.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
                Dear Nancy,

                Bob Danka, at the ARS honey bee lab in Baton Rouge, LA did a bunch of work on rabbit-eye blueberry pollination some years ago.  His e-mail is rdanka@....  They also have a Web page reached through www.usda.gov.

                Sincerely,
                Anita Collins
              • Wilson, Michael E
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 4, 2008
                  Jim or others. Can you make sure what I'm calling a legitamite pollinator visitor on blueberry
                  is correct? When the bee enters through the end of the flower to access the reward, I'm calling
                  that legitamite, and only ID a visit as robbing when they get the reward from the side of the flower.
                  Am I missing anything that I should be watching for like sonication?

                  I noticed that the legitamite visit bees usually had pollen on them while robbers never did. I saw
                  many Xylocopa virginica legitamitely visiting flowers, as defined by my above assumptions. They usually
                  had pollen on them.

                  Thanks,
                  Michael

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 4, 2008

                    Michael- I agree with your interpretation of behaviors and positioning on flowers that constitutes robbing or not.  I wouldn’t think you’d have Xylocopa micans (yet) as far north as Knoxville .  You could easily check those pollen loads (I presume you are talking about Vaccinium), as the pollen tetrads are distinctive relative to most anything you’d see there outside of the Ericaceae, I think.  If you have legit pollen foraging and pollination by X. virginica in blueberries, well, you’re opening a revised chapter in the story that will require some explanatory thought!

                    Yours,

                    jim

                    ===============================

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 11, 2008
                          Nancy, I had missed your previous ‘methods’ email, but I found it on the list. I have been out of town for a class, but am back now. My direct email is mwilso14@... if you want to discuss directly.

                          I’ll describe my methods but keep in mind at two summers experience, you have one more year experience then I.

                          I’m looking at blueberries and cucurbits, but have a different method for each since I’m interested in different questions for those. It could be an advantage to have the same method for squash and blueberries though. A 40 meter transect would be larger than one of my locations. I decided against a bee per flower variable for blueberries due to the many number of flowers per bush. Many flowers are not quite open, but look open at a glance. So I instead went with bees per bush. I’m using % flowering per bush, which is rather subjective but I think its sufficient for my needs, and number of plants per location to check for flowering strength effect on bee numbers per bush. If this seems off, someone feel free to interject. Below is the basics of the blueberry method:

                          For blueberries, the response variable will be visitation rate per bush by species group. Ten random blueberry bushes at each location (minimum 7 locations) will be observed on at least 2 separate occasions per location (I may increase to 3 if time allows, or decrease location #). Each blueberry bush, will be observed for 5 minutes. Bushes will be rated by percentage flowering to determine if flowering strength effects pollinator number. Pollinators will be counted and organized by species groups of honey bees, bumble bees, carpenter bees, bright green bees, Osmia bees, Habropoda laboriosa, Diptera, Lepidoptera, and other Hymenoptera. Robbing or legitimate visits will be noted to determine if the insect is actually pollinating the flower, or instead, robbing nectar and bypassing pollination. Sex will be noted for carpenter bees to determine if males significantly rob more then females. My preliminary data indicates this.

                          I am also noting specific families of bees, Lepidoptera, etc. not on the above list if I can distinguish them in the field, like the hummingbird moth, syrphids, etc.

                          My main questions with blueberries are;

                          What are the primary and minor pollinators of blueberry?
                          What contribution do unmanaged bees provide toward pollination of blueberry compared to honey bees?
                          What contribution do carpenter bees provide towards pollination?
                          What factors influence carpenter bee robbing, such as nesting females (whom would need pollen) or other factors (planting size, etc.)?

                          I should also note I did not see a single Habropoda at 5 of the above observation periods in East TN. A farmer co-operator in southern, middle TN whom is also doing the protocol saw one Habropoda (determined by his observation and a not so great photo) among 4 observation periods.

                          For Cucurbits (watermelon, yellow squash, and pumpkin), I’m using 100 flower transects to get the bee per flower variable. I’ll be following the protocol in:

                          Willis D. S. and Kevan, P. G. (1995). Foraging dynamics of Peponapis pruinosa (Hymenoptera: Anthophoridae) on pumpkin (Cucurbita pepo) in Southern Ontario. The Candadian Entomologist 127: 167.

                          and

                          Shuler, R.E., Roulston, T. H., Farris, G.E. (2005). Farming practicies influence wild pollinator populations on squash and pumpkin. Journal of Economic Entomology 98(3): 790-795.

                          I will also provide data for/compatible to Jim Cane’s Squash Pollinators of the Americas Survey.

                          During 2009 I would like to do some bagging experiments and data analysis like in:

                          Winfree, R., Williams, N. M., Dushoff, J., and Kremen, C. (2007). Native bees provide insurance against ongoing honey bee losses. Ecology Letters 10: 1105-1113.

                          But time and money is an unknown at this point. I would continue to use the 100 flower transect, but use methods in Winfree for pollen deposition and data analysis.

                          Squash questions will be typical of Shuler et al and Winfree et al.

                          Suggestions/comments welcome!

                          -Michael Wilson