Squash bees

  • Riddle,T Charles
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 13, 2013

      Has anyone tried making nest habitat? Or has anyone seen nests and remembered any details?

      What about the same for any of the more abundant southeastern lasioglossum? (trap nests?)

      Thanx

      T. Charles Riddle

      Biologist

      University of Florida

      Nfrec Quincy

    • T'ai Roulston
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 13, 2013
        Charles:

        In a manipulative experiment in a large enclosure in which my student Esther Julier created different nesting habitats in equal abundance (Julier, H.E. and T.H. Roulston. 2009. Wild Bee Abundance and Pollination Service in Cultivated Pumpkins: Farm Management, Nesting Behavior and Landscape Effects. Journal of Economic Entomology. 102 563-573), squash bees preferred to nest right under the stems and leaves of their host plant. It didn't matter if the ground was smooth or chopped up. She got 50 bees to nest among the nest blocks. I, like many people, have seen squash bees nest in bare ground, but that is not what they chose when we were able to quantify options and response. She also saw that they nested right under the host plants on a farm as well.

        T'ai

        On Nov 13, 2013, at 8:45 AM, Riddle,T Charles wrote:

        Has anyone tried making nest habitat? Or has anyone seen nests and remembered any details?

        What about the same for any of the more abundant southeastern lasioglossum? (trap nests?)

        Thanx

        T. Charles Riddle

        Biologist

        University of Florida

        Nfrec Quincy

        T'ai Roulston
        Curator, State Arboretum of Virginia
        Research Assoc. Prof., Dept of Envi. Sci.
        University of Virginia

      • Rob Irwin