Do solitary bees drink water?

  • Valérie Fournier
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 8, 2013
      Hi,
      Do we know whether solitary bees drink actual water or may nectar provide all the water they need ?
      Any observations on the topic published in scientific journals?
      Thanks a lot
      Valérie

      ********************************

      Valérie Fournier, Ph.D.

      Professeure agrégée / Associate professor

      Département de Phytologie

      Université Laval

      Adresse postale:

      Centre de recherche en horticulture

      2480, boul. Hochelaga

      Québec, Québec

      Canada G1V 0A6

      Téléphone: (418) 656-2131 poste 4629

      Télécopieur: (418) 656-3515

      Courriel: valerie.fournier@...

      Bureau: local 2110, Pavillon Envirotron

      http://www.plg.ulaval.ca

    • John Plant
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 8, 2013

        Water-drinking solitary bees?

        I confess I have never seen solitary bees quenching their thirst on water.

        However, of course, females of Anthophora and other genera “collect” water to use for nest making.

        John Plant

        Vienna, Austria

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 9, 2013
          What an interesting question! This article from 2008 mentions solitary bees and water:

          http://jeb.biologists.org/content/212/3/429.full.pdf

          Page 430:  It is not clear whether solitary bees drink water for their own needs,
          as distinct from seeking dilute nectar. Large aggregations of bees
          of various genera can be seen foraging at wet soil substrates in the
          tropics, then regurgitating and reimbibing fluid, and this may be a
          means of obtaining salts (Roubik, 1989).

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 11, 2013
            Dear Dr. Valérie Fournier,
            Thanks for a great topic.   An interesting story about water and salt collection/feeding comes from Olivier Dangles and Jérôme Casas who documented a solitary bee (Centris sp) drinking the tears (lachrymation) of a
            yellow-spotted river turtle (Podocnemis unifilis) in the Yasuní National Park of Ecuador, along the Amazon River.  This can happen between Meliponini bees and humans, for this see Bänziger et al. 2009.  A number of bees in a wide variety of taxa bees are also known for obtaining salt water from human perspiration.  This is why the term 'sweat bee' has been applied to many types of bees.
            Best wishes for compiling knowledge on this topic.

            Sincerely,
            Brian J. Dykstra
            Refer to:
            The bee and the turtle: a fable from Yasuní National Park
            and
            Bänziger et al.2009.  Bees (Hymenoptera: Apidae) That Drink Human Tears.Journal of the Kansas Entomological Society.