Re: [beemonitoring] New - Guide to U.S. and Canadian Bees of the Genus Perdita

  • Jerry_Freilich@nps.gov
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 11, 2006
      Was just looking at your Perdita key (way cool!) and also noted that this
      page: (where one is introduced to the bees):

      http://pick5.pick.uga.edu/mp/20q?act=x_ant&name=Apoidea&path=Insecta/Hymenoptera/Apoidea&common_name=Bees&xml=Agapostemon;Apoidea_genera;Augochlora;Augochlorella;Augochloropsis;Bee_genera_KSEM;Bumblebees;Green_bees;Groups_Insecta;North_American_Invasives;&btx

      includes a link to Dasypodidae (armadillos). Is there something I'm
      missing? Thought you might want to fix that....

      Jerry
      __________________________
      Jerry Freilich, Ph.D.
      Research & Monitoring Coordinator
      Olympic National Park
      600 E. Park Ave.
      Port Angeles, WA 98362

      Phone: 360-565-3082
      Fax: 360-565-3070
      Cell: 360-477-3338
      Jerry_Freilich@...

      "This is the most beautiful place on earth,
      there are many such places..."
      Edward Abbey
      ___________________________

      Sam Droege
      <sdroege@...> To: apoidea@..., VA-MD-DE-Bugs@yahoogroups.com, pollinator@...,
      Sent by: ENTOMO-L@..., beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
      beemonitoring@yaho cc: (bcc: Jerry Freilich/OLYM/NPS)
      ogroups.com Subject: [beemonitoring] New - Guide to U.S. and Canadian Bees of the Genus Perdita

      12/11/2006 03:20
      PM EST
      Please respond to
      beemonitoring

      Announcing the

      Guide to the Identification of the U.S. and Canadian Bees in the Genus
      Perdita

      East of the Mississippi River

      Rebekah Nelson and Sam Droege

      (With plenty of help from many museum collections and bee researchers
      throughout North America)

      Perdita males:

      http://pick4.pick.uga.edu/mp/20q?guide=Perdita_male

      Perdita females:

      http://pick4.pick.uga.edu/mp/20q?guide=Perdita_female

      More species specific text, pictures and illustrations will be added later.

      Questions and suggestions always welcome.

      Sam Droege Sam_Droege@...
      BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave., Beltsville, MD 20705
      Http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov

      The Plover and the Clover can be told
      apart with ease,
      By paying close attention to the
      habits of the Bees,
      For ento-molo-gists aver, the Bee
      can be in clover,
      While ety-molo-gists concur, there
      is no B in Plover.

      -Robert Williams Wood - The Clover and the Plover

    • frozenbeedoc@cs.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 16, 2006
        Dear Sam,

        heard a good talk by your student, with Dewey, on the traps in various parts of the Delmarva.  Also one by the lady working with Bill Stevens in Oregon.  They seem to have good results, but the trap is expensive.

        Could you resend the information you sent me while I was visiting?  I haven't used my personal e-mail for work before, and find that it deletes the messges quickly, unlike the ARS site.  So I lost those two.  We were especially interested in the light source for microscopes.  And I want to enroll in the spring ID course.

        I've a call in to Keith Bildstein at Hawk Mt, but nothing set up yet.

        I am really psyched about getting this survey/monitoring rolling.  I've wanted to do more with native bees in this area for some time.  So thanks so much for your mentoring.

        Sincerely,
        Anita