Chinese Orchid and Fly

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 28, 2013
    Dear Colleagues:

    A team of Chinese botanists are working on the pollination of orchids in the genus, Calanthe.  A team member sent me a photo of the insect most likely to carry the pollinia of one of the green-flowered species.  To my untrained eyes this insect looks like one of the bee-mimicking drone flies in the genus Eristalis (or something related).  If you are not a dipterologist would you mind showing it to someone who is and give them my apology for not providing them with a better photo.

    Sincerely, Peter Bernhardt
  • Doug Yanega
    Message 2 of 2 , Oct 28, 2013
      I would begin checking with the syrphid genus Arctophila. Someone like
      Chris Thompson or Martin Hauser should be able to confirm this, and
      possibly suggest a species.

      Peace,