Bombus cockerelli paper in print

  • Doug Yanega
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 16, 2013
      Hi, all. I've sent a message to most of the folks who helped me on this (including some readers here), but this is a good place to put out a general notice about my publication on the bumblebee with the distinction of the smallest known range of any species worldwide - only a fraction of the historical range of B. franklini (which may now be extinct, so its effective range is possibly now zero). I don't know if cockerelli is the rarest Bombus in the world, but that's because I doubt anyone could agree on how to objectively measure rarity. All I can say is that there are only 34 known specimens, none of them males, and I suspect that at least puts it in contention.

      Yanega, D. 2013. The status of Cockerell’s Bumblebee, Bombus (Pyrobombus) cockerelli Franklin, 1913 (Hymenoptera: Apidae). Southwestern Entomologist 38(3): 517-522.

      You may or may not be able to get the text here: http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.3958/059.038.0313

      I have yet to hear from the publisher, remarkably, so I'm not sure if I'm allowed to distribute a PDF or not.

      Peace,
    • Mudssar Ali
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 17, 2013

        Dear Bee listerv

        My university system unfortunately doesn’t have access to this book chapter.

        STATISTICAL ECOLOGY (NICHE OVERLAP INDICES, CHAPTER 10) by LUDWIG AND REYNOLDS 1988.

        I would appreciate if anyone could please send me the required chapter?

        Best Regards

        MUDSSAR ALI (Ph. D Scholar)

        Department of Entomology

        Bahauddin Zakariya University, Multan, Pakistan