Excavation of bumble bee nest

  • Jessica Beckham
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 14, 2013
      Hello Good People,

      I was wondering if anyone has experience excavating bumble bee nests.  I am doing research on bumble bees in Texas and we found a couple of nest sites from two different species this past summer.  Both nests appear to be underground (as opposed to in the thatch).  I'd like to try to exhume the nests once they become inactive this summer to study their structure and maybe even preserve them some how to donate to our natural history museum.  Has anyone done this (dug up a bumble bee nest or preserved it or both)?

      Thanks for any help!

      Best,

      Jessica Beckham
      Ph.D Student, University of North Texas
    • FLECKENSTEIN, JOHN (DNR)
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 14, 2013

        Jessica,

        There were some studies of small mammal burrows in the 60s and 70s where researchers used spray- or pour-foam insulation to fill the cavities. You’d have to experiment with various formulas to get one that didn’t start out too viscous and didn’t expand too much. And I expect you’d lose any internal structure. The right person at your local home improvement store might appreciate the challenge.

        John Fleckenstein, zoologist

        Natural Heritage Program

        Department of Natural Resources

        360-902-1674

        John.Fleckenstein at dnr.wa.gov

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 14, 2013

          The ant folks have it down J

          http://www.sciencedump.com/content/what-happens-when-you-pour-1200f-molten-aluminum-anthill

          Dave Small

          Athol Massachusetts

          978-413-1772

          Dave@...

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 14, 2013
            There's another group that used cement rather than aluminun to make a mold of an ant colony.  There is a long video of the process near the end of the article.
            http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2095335/Underground-ant-city-Brazil-rivals-Great-Wall-China-labyrinth-highways.html

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 15, 2013

              Hi Jessica and all,

              We used Bondo Polyester Fiberglass Resin to make casts of solitary bee nests (Peponapis).  Worked really well - although Peponapis nests are sealed along the sides of the tunnel to control moisture, which mostly kept the resin in the nest, rather than spreading through the soil.  Not sure if bumble nests are sealed the same way.  But, we got such good casts that you could see the little ball of pollen in the last open cell.

              Kim