Hi Speed Photography of Bees at Flowers and Nests

  • Droege, Sam
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19, 2013

      I just returned from an IDigBio workshop on photographing insects and flluids.  Great workshop and you can see the powerpoints and links below:

      https://www.idigbio.org/wiki/index.php/Fluid_Preserved_Invertebrate_Imaging

      At some point video will be available of the talks and discussions.

      At the meeting I met Paul DeZeeuw from Cognisys who are the manufacturers of stackshot sleds, which we an others use, but, it turns out, also make incredibly accurate and fast set ups for taking pictures of insects in flight.  Mostly this is used by the nature photography industry, but given recent discussions of the problems of taking pictures of things that come to flowers (and by extention , things that come and go from nests) I think their new equipment might be the ticket.

      It combines extremely precises infrared beams that can be set to trigger on very small target areas and extremely fast external shutters that are superior, in speed, to any internal shutter.  Consequently, you can get super sharp, in focus, pictures of anything the comes to whatever opening or flower you like.   No more having to look at 1000 fuzzy pictures of bees or whatever flying out of the screen amidst vast numbers of empty shots...

      Links are below.

      How to page:  http://www.cognisys-inc.com/HowTo/flying_insects.php

      Product pages:

      http://www.cognisys-inc.com/stopshot/stopshot.php