missing bees

  • Dave Almquist
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 15 1:43 PM
      I have a bunch of Monarda punctata bee balm, some Silphium and Heliopsis sunflowers and a couple of other plants blooming in my yard in Tallahassee, FL.  I was testing out a different type of lighting for taking insect photos for a couple of hours yesterday afternoon.  Tons of Xylocopa bees and Sphex wasps, a couple of halictids, a few of what I think are Ceratina or similar, but no other bees.  I know that it's late in the season in much of the country, but it's still very warm here and there are plenty of records of various bees for September, and later, in FL.  I just thought that that was odd and figured I'd put the observation out there.
    • Robinson Wainwright Sudan
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 15 2:44 PM
        I'm working in southern MS and last week, they were noticeably absent even from areas with abundant blooms.  My sites are literally overwhelmed by lovebugs.  I'm not sure if you're experiencing them in FL right now too, but I'm wondering if they're out competing other flower visitors for mass-flowering nectar resources.  Maybe the bees are having to forage for more inconspicuous flowers.

        Robinson Sudan