ID this bee

  • Jennifer Lyman
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 14, 2013
      Hi all,  We captured a photo of this Osmia sp. on the roundleaved orchid at Swamp Lake, WY which is a fen off the Chief Joseph Highway near Cody, WY off the Beartooth Hwy (212) that goes from Red Lodge to Cooke City, WY.

      I would like to know the species and sex of the bee if possibleā€¦.  and anything else you might say.  We are trying to figure out the pollinators for the roundleaved orchid (nearest population 1000 miles North in Alberta).  We can't say it is a pollinator but it did visit for at least 5 seconds.  We set up a time-lapse camera to take a photo every 5 secondsā€¦. out of 15,000 photos we managed to get one of this insect.  But the weather was variable (sunny and then afternoon thunderstorms) and the orchids are mostly in shade under white spruce.

      Any help with info is much appreciated.  Jenbotanist