RE: [beemonitoring] Peponapis/Xenoglossa

  • Stoner, Kimberly
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 5 12:50 PM

      Hi all,

      If they have not completely excluded eastern US locations, I have farms where I have seen and counted Peponapis pruinosa for three years running in CT. I could give them dates when we found peak numbers on pumpkins.

      Kim

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 6 5:33 AM
        --- In beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com, "Stoner, Kimberly" <Kimberly.Stoner@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > If they have not completely excluded eastern US locations, I have farms where I have seen and counted Peponapis pruinosa for three years running in CT. I could give them dates when we found peak numbers on pumpkins.

        In western NY, you can look for a long time for a single one on commercial farms. I know. I checked for five years in a row, and found one single one in all that time, and I checked often before daybreak, as well as checking closed blossoms later in the day for males. They simply are not in large fields.

        On the other hand, in garden plantings, you can often find 2-3 squash bees per flower.

        Dave Green
        Retired pollination contractor
      • Doug Yanega
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 7 11:04 AM
          Thanks to those who responded. I should have explained that this was
          only in the early planning stages, so there is ample time for them to
          prepare. They were just trying to see if there is a time and place that
          could be pinned down so they would know for certain they would have some
          useful footage in case their planned field site in Mexico is a bust.

          Peace,