Re: RE: [beemonitoring] Toxic Soil Effects on Pollinators

  • Anita M. Collins
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2013
      Hi Kim,
      Your report on no lead in your wineberries is very interesting.  I'm working with pollinators on a superfund site that has heavy metals.  We did plant warm season grasses to beging recovery of the area and know that they don't take up the heavy metals.  No idea about gasoline, etc., contaminants.  We may try to do a study on the heavy metals in pollen, nectar and the pollinators here, if we can find an eager student.
      Albert Einstein
      On 09/03/13, Stoner, Kimberly<Kimberly.Stoner@...> wrote:

      Hi Tom,

      What kinds of toxins are there?  I know that in my own yard, there are high levels (around 1000 ppm) of lead, but when I have had the wineberries in my yard tested for lead, none was detected.  (I am about to do the same testing for fall raspberries).

      On the other hand, as you know, I have found neonicotinoid insecticides moving from soil application to nectar and pollen of squash, and others have found DDE and PCBs moving from soil into squash fruit.  So, the particular toxins are important – some move readily in the vascular system of the plant and some don’t.

      If you have an environmental report with the toxins, I could ask some of my colleagues in analytical chemistry who know more about this.

      Best regards,