Toxic Soil Effects on Pollinators

  • Tom Sullivan
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2013
      Dear Bee Monitors,

      There is a small pocket park in Greenfield MA, that is designated as a Brown Field from gasoline tanks and motor repair work. Currently, elm trees and lawn grow there. Edible plants have been nixed from the planting plan, since soil toxins would translocate to the fruit.

      My question is whether these toxins would also pose a problem for pollinators, if pollinator-friendly flowering plants used? I suspect they would translocate to the nectar and pollen.

      If flowering plants were are not a good idea, then would warm and cool season grasses growing have similar effects on butterflies, by poisoning their larva who feed on their stems? The next question then if none of the above plants would work for pollinators, is their a list of grasses that do not support pollinators or other insects?

      Thanks for your suggestions,
      Tom
      --
      PollinatorsWelcome.com
      Edible Landscape Design

      Thomas G. Sullivan, M.A.L.D.
      Master of Arts in Landscape Design
      413-863-4480 h
      413-325-1769 c

      We need Pollinators

      Plant Meadows Everywhere

    • Stoner, Kimberly
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2013

        Hi Tom,

        What kinds of toxins are there?  I know that in my own yard, there are high levels (around 1000 ppm) of lead, but when I have had the wineberries in my yard tested for lead, none was detected.  (I am about to do the same testing for fall raspberries).

        On the other hand, as you know, I have found neonicotinoid insecticides moving from soil application to nectar and pollen of squash, and others have found DDE and PCBs moving from soil into squash fruit.  So, the particular toxins are important – some move readily in the vascular system of the plant and some don’t.

        If you have an environmental report with the toxins, I could ask some of my colleagues in analytical chemistry who know more about this.

        Best regards,

        Kim

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 3, 2013
          Hi Kim,

          Your report on no lead in your wineberries is very interesting.  I'm working with pollinators on a superfund site that has heavy metals.  We did plant warm season grasses to beging recovery of the area and know that they don't take up the heavy metals.  No idea about gasoline, etc., contaminants.  We may try to do a study on the heavy metals in pollen, nectar and the pollinators here, if we can find an eager student.

          Anita

          Albert Einstein