nectar feeders as pollinators? OT?

  • Charles Guevara
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2013
      Our ruby throated humming bird is still about buisness in our home garden areas.  In addition to the 'sapsuckers', the ants, the bees, our humming bird gets to feed at his: 'red sugar humming bird feeder'.
    At times the little bird clambors inside the 'bell flower' of our tiger lillies, the flower jostles as if animated...then out pops the humming bird.

       Do humming birds actually eat pollen?  Or is this bird climbing inside large flowers to feed on nectar?  Do these birds function as pollinators...or is their contribution to' spreading pollen around' minimal?

       Similarly our 'humming bird moths' work our gardens every year.  Do these moths eat pollen, only nectar feed, and are they considered pollinators?

       Now for my really OT request for opinion and comments: to my eyes...both in flight patterns and behaviors...these 'huming bird moths' really seem to be mimicks of actual humming birds.   Their coloration  and body shape seems to be a close approximation of my humming bird neighbors...the moths wing motion ( my digital camera live-view screen functions as a tachometer which slows down the wing beats so you see the moths wings flap like a humming birds wings) ...the way the moth hovers..to my eyes it is mimicking a humming bird.

       This forum entertained my 'robber fly bumble bee mimick' queries last year.  Can it be said that the moths are mimicking humming birds?

       all the best, charlie guevara