Re: Carpenter bees and giant asian resin bees as my neighbors.

  • Charles Guevara
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 2013

      From: Charles Guevara <icecilliate123@...>
      To: "beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com" <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2013 9:47 PM
      Subject: Carpenter bees and giant asian resin bees as my neighbors.

        Thank you all for cogent guidance and opinions on my central NY/fingerlakes,NY concerns with carpenter bees drilling out my outdoor fence posts.. and with my discovered giant resin bee use of a main rafter of my wood shed, for it's affairs.  Between Barbara Abrahams quick ID of the giant resin bee, and this professors thoughts that these resin bees did not do the rafter damage ,Wyatt Mangum thoughts...as the original reporter of this 'introduced bee species', Peter Bernhardt informing me populations reach into Canada, and west to Missouri, T.Charles Riddle showing me a key field mark of the male carpenter bee face, and his strategy of 'bee boxes' about his home outbuildings, Brian Dykstra specific comments on the ecologic services carpenter bees provide, Liz Day opine of these kindred neighbors (carpenter bees) being dignified components of our shared environment,as well as being quintisential bees with a spirit we humans can rejoice in ( okay, I'll calm down now), Anita Collins giving me insight to the powerful tool which: 'fresh apple slice sedation can be'...wow if bees are manipulated to artificial insemination by use of 'apple slice sedation'...I just may try and see if this apple-slice induced torpor works on wasps..but I never had need to bother wasps..as they never bother my activities...but now I'm curious about 'apple slice sedation' of wasps!

         Here in central NY/fingerlakes region,NY we struggle with 'invasive species ' introduced by our human commerce activities ( and by deliberate/ personal-impulse  indulgence of introducing species...as Dr.Bernhardt alluded to).  As an enjoyer of our crow species of birds, I followed the entry of the corvid-morbid introduced West Nile Virus to con-US in the 1990's ( I think it then)...well this virus is now deemed: 'endemic to con-US' , rather than : 'invasive species'.  I wonder now...is Asian giant resin bee now deemed: 'endemic', rather than: 'introduced species'...why did it not be designated: 'invassive species'?  What charms permit a fellow organism of our dear globe being designated: 'introduced species'....vrs. : 'invassive species"?   The insect Emerald ash borer/bark bettle is now deemed a contaigion in numerous NY counties...just what do we consider the: giant Asian Resin Bee to be?

         Thanks to Dr. B.Abrahams quick ID...I did 'google-home work':giant resin bee first reported in North Carolina in 1994, it's impact on native bees not known'.  These bees do not do damage..they nest in carpenter bee tunnels, or other locations in buildings.

         University of Penn./dept of entomology website regarding carpenter bees: they do not eat the wood, they riddle the wood for brood chambers,
      so each growth season more tunnels in the wood structure they reside in.

          Once a bee-advocate told me: 'do not use bee-boxes on your land..these concentrate bees to dense/unnatural population densities.'..this too often permits quick spread of various 'bee parasite maladies'.

         I have not yet killed a carpenter bee...enjoyably I sense I have had the one and the same carpenter bee in my study for picture taking., several times....as I visited my outdoor wood posts for maintenance.  Hey...I have 'pollinater/nectar feeding best friends'.  But do not think the structure damage I just noticed this '2013 growth season' is trivial.

         All of your knowledge and expertise humbles me, you enhance my stewardship capabilities...thank you!   charlie guevara/finger-lakes,NY.  (ps) a thoughtful post to these concerns of mine noted: 'wood peckers then increase the damage the carpenter bees start'...my experience exactly...and I feed these same birds by my kitchen window three different bird-feeders.

    • Charles Guevara
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 31, 2013
         When I encounter these bees on field hikes with my dogs...they do catch your eye! But I keep hearing an old late 1950's pop song when I inspect my outdoor posts: "The farmer and the bowlweavil"..."just looking for a home..".  good holiday weekend to all, charlie guevara