Fw: [beemonitoring] Photographing bees & no kill identification - a tool [1 Attachment]

  • Charles Guevara
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 28, 2013

      ----- Forwarded Message -----
      From: Charles Guevara <icecilliate123@...>
      To: Brian Dykstra <brianjdykstra@...>
      Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 12:33 PM
      Subject: Re: [beemonitoring] Photographing bees & no kill identification - a tool [1 Attachment]

         Hello, I notice in central NY, a simple fresh slice of apple ( I've used several varieties of apple)...placed in a plastic jar with good seal lid..somehow narcotizes /entrances bees and hornets of various sizes..right up to huge: 'European hornets'.

         After a few minutes you can gently slide the 'bee on apple' out of the container...place it on a white paper plate for good background...and image capture the nearly imobile organism.  The specimen recovers normal behavior after a short time.  I can post a few images to forum...as I do have questions about the large 'bees' that have attacked my fence poles, and my woodshed rafters.

         Please try fresh apple slice in tight seal plastic jar..it works in my orchard with all sorts of bees, hornets that I tried it with.  just a suggestion, charlie guevara