Dead honey bees appearing

  • David
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 2013
      Hi all,

      About 50 dead honey bees and a few dead wasps appeared on the floor of the greenhouse at the University of Illinois-Chicago over the weekend. There are plenty of wild bees and bumble bees on the greenhouse grounds, but no dead ones were found.
      Is it typical for honey bees to die off at once at this time? The only cause I could think of was poisoning from West Nile Spraying. Chicago has sprayed for the virus, but I'm unsure if they've sprayed near campus

      Anyone have any suggestions for a possible cause?
      If anyone is interested in obtaining these bees for testing, I saved about 20 of the dead honey bees and two wasps.

      Best,
      David Lowenstein
      PhD Student
      Dept of Biological Sciences