Re: [beemonitoring] Identifying pollen collected from bees

    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 23, 2013
      Dear Berry:

      Hmmmm.  I'll bet it would work very nicely for pollinia carried by bees, though.  Each pollinium consists exclusively of pollen from one flower.  Some orchid pollinaria of the Neotropics can be identified to genus on the basis of morphology and where it is deposited on the bee's body.  The analyst knows he/she is removing pollen of Stanhopea but may not know which Stanhopea spp.  You technique will answer that question.

      Likewise, this might also be applied to milkweeds (Asclepias) and their allies.  They also produce pollinaria and, based many past studies, a bee may visit more than one Asclepias spp. in bloom during the same foraging bout.  Pollinaria of milkweeds are hard to identify once they leave the flower, and different Asclepias app. deposit the pollinaria on the same bee legs, so your analysis would make it possible to find out whether the six pollinaria on the same bee belonged to the same species.  Of course, it would be best to test each pollinarium one at a time...right?

      Peter

      Peter

      On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 2:05 PM, Brosi, Berry J <bbrosi@...> wrote:

      Hi all,

      The Wilson et al. paper does not give a protocol for sequencing mixed pollen loads from bees.  It can only return one sequence.  Thus, it will give you a (single) sequence if there is a single pollen type in a pollen load, or a single sequence with some "indeterminate" base pair reads if there is a mixed pollen load with one species really dominating, or will return nothing if you have a very diverse pollen load (or if there is just a sequencing error!).  Such an analysis can work passably (marginally?) in a plant-species-poor area, especially when working with pollinators that are likely to visit a limited subset of plants, e.g. the Hawaiian Hylaeus that Wilson et al. studied.  But it is unlikely to work well in most other systems, e.g. which will have greater plant species richness and pollinators that are likely to visit multiple plant species.

      In addition, information on pollen quantities in a pollen load *cannot* be determined with molecular analyses currently.  DNA barcoding methods use sequences on organellar genomes (chloroplast, ribosome, etc.) because they are less subject to recombination than nuclear markers.  Copy number of organellar genomes is known to vary considerably—I don't know the specifics but I believe we are talking orders of magnitude—in pollen of different plant taxa, so even if one were to use quantitative PCR, etc., having greater relative quantities of PCR product of pollen from plant species A versus pollen of plant species B would not even necessarily tell you that species A has more pollen grains than B in your sample.

      Finally, unfortunately for most areas, there is very limited coverage of DNA barcoding markers for plants on GenBank, with the exception of a few areas that have been intensively studied for exactly that purpose.

      cheers,
      Berry

      Berry J. Brosi, Ph.D.
      Assistant Professor
      Department of Environmental Studies
      Emory University
      http://www.envs.emory.edu/faculty/brosi/brosilab/home.html

      On Aug 21, 2013, at 7:28 PM, T'ai Roulston <thr8z@...>
       wrote:

      Karen:

      I'm interested in knowing how you'll handle the quantitative question that Jack brought up. With Melissodes you should get a lot of unifloral pollen loads but are you going to examine pollen loads with a microscope to know the relative amounts collected when you hit mixed loads? Or are there good molecular protocols to handle this now?

      If you are still interested in Melissodes specimens, I could provide a few eastern ones.

      T'ai
      On Aug 21, 2013, at 5:46 PM, Karen W. Wright wrote:

      I will be trying to identify pollen from scopae of Melissodes. I am
      applying for a grant to help pay for ITS sequencing for the pollen. With
      the DNA you can measure genetic distance between host species which may be
      a good index of polylecty. If I don't get the grant, it is back to slides
      which is more time consuming, but cheaper, and less accurate (especially
      within Asteraceae). My biggest disadvantage is that I don't have a local
      library of ITS sequences since Melissodes' range is the New World. I will
      have to depend on genbank for sequence identification. I think we are
      getting to the point where there is enough available that this type of
      barcoding is possible. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks,
      Karen

      > Jack:
      >
      > It's all relative. I still think that acetolysis is overkill (and often
      > counter-productive) if all you want to do is identify pollen carried by
      > the
      > animal visiting the flower vs. where the insect visited before it visited
      > the host flower. In my own case, I never count a pollen "species" taken
      > from an insect as "present" unless I find a minimum of 25 identical grains
      > or polyads (Linum, Acacia etc.) on the same slide. It's a trick I
      > developed in Australia. I put non-flower visiting flies and beetles in
      > the
      > same killing jar as my acacia-visiting insects and counted the number of
      > solitary grains the non-visitors carried due to contamination in the same
      > jar. The only "deal-breaker" should be the presence of a pollinarium
      > (orchid or asclepioid) provided you can find viscidium or corpusculum
      > still
      > attached to the insect.
      >
      > Of course, comparing pollen DNA extracted from the bee's crop seems a bit
      > much but consider the future possibilities if the technology can be
      > tweaked. Eventually, it may tell you how many different trees (genotypes)
      > of the same species were visited by the same bee before it was captured.
      > Based on another Australian project I noticed that some pollen-swallowing
      > colletids invariably regurgitated their harvest if you killed them with
      > fumes of ether or ethyl acetate. Crop-derived grains are often a bit
      > "chewed up" but are still identifiable following staining with Calberla's
      > fluid.
      >
      > "What are you doing, Professor?"
      >
      > "I'm staining bee vomit."
      >
      > "Oh... that's nice, dear." (It's always funnier with an Australian
      > accent).
      >
      > Peter
      >

      > On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 2:39 PM, Jack Neff <jlnatctmi@...> wrote:
      >
      >> **
      >>

      >> The paper shows the method works but it seems like methodological
      >> overkill. I would think one could distinguish silversword (Asteraceae)
      >> and
      >> pukiawe (Ericaceae) pollen by much simpler and cheaper methods than DNA
      >> analysis. It is also not clear if this method gives quantitative
      >> results
      >> which is what one needs for diet analysis (not just presence or absence
      >> of
      >> various items).
      >>
      >> best
      >>
      >> Jack
      >>
      >> John L. Neff
      >> Central Texas Melittological Institute
      >> 7307 Running Rope
      >> Austin,TX 78731 USA
      >> 512-345-7219
      >>
      >> ------------------------------

      T'ai Roulston
      Curator, State Arboretum of Virginia
      Research Assoc. Prof., Dept of Envi. Sci.
      University of Virginia

      prohibited.

    • Berry Brosi
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 23, 2013

        I agree, it should work quite well for pollinia, and yes, if following the Wilson et al. protocol each pollinium should be analyzed separately.  The issue that we don't have good coverage of plants in terms of representation in GenBank remains, and is likely particularly acute for tropical orchids.

         wrote:

> [...]

        > "chewed up" but are still identifiable following staining with Calberla's
        > fluid.
        >
        > "What are you doing, Professor?"
        >
        > "I'm staining bee vomit."
        >
        > "Oh... that's nice, dear." (It's always funnier with an Australian
        > accent).
        >
        > Peter
        >

        > On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 2:39 PM, Jack Neff <jlnatctmi@...> wrote:
        >
        >> **
        >>

        >> The paper shows the method works but it seems like methodological
        >> overkill. I would think one could distinguish silversword (Asteraceae)
        >> and
        >> pukiawe (Ericaceae) pollen by much simpler and cheaper methods than DNA
        >> analysis. It is also not clear if this method gives quantitative
        >> results
        >> which is what one needs for diet analysis (not just presence or absence

      • Elliott
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 23, 2013
          Hello all,
          Very interesting thread! I love it!
          Has anyone used Rex Sawyer's "Pollen Identification for Beekeepers"? I have ordered it and and I am not sure how practical or applicable it is. Very nice piece of work though, but I am still floundering and tiring to identify what I am looking at that I have collected.

          Also, has anyone looked at this online book: An introduction to Pollen Analysis? Here is it's link: http://archive.org/details/introductiontopo029798mbp

          Cheers,
          EF