Re: [beemonitoring] Identifying pollen collected from bees

  • Doug Yanega
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 19, 2013
      On 8/18/13 8:05 AM, Laura Russo wrote:

      Dear all,

      I am interested in identifying pollen samples collected from bees.  I have looked at some resources on the internet, but I thought I would probe this listserve to see if anyone has had experience with that process, and therefore recommendations for resources (i.e. books, websites, people, etc.).

      Any advice on the collection methodology would also be gratefully received.
      I'll offer my own experience in two techniques, one of which is an example of the lowest-tech option (which I imagine many here will scoff at), and you'll have to determine for yourself whether either is a viable approach in your case.

      When I was interested in this type of analysis, I took a course in palynology, and found the techniques - all of which centered around acetolysis - to be time-consuming, somewhat costly (I was doing research out-of-pocket), and poorly suited for very tiny quantities of pollen. Kearns & Inouye was not yet in print back in 1983, so I was flailing about a bit and had to devise my own approach.

      (1) Working with pinned museum specimens of bees, the number of pollen grains available can be very small, and the technique I used was to take an SEM stub with double-sided sticky tape and scrape pollen onto it directly. While these samples could not be examined under a light microscope, and while they didn't have the outer surfaces completely clean, they could still be viewed under the SEM just fine, if I could find someone who would let me have a few minutes of SEM time (which was infrequent, so I didn't get to make much use of this).

      (2) for wild-caught bees (whose behavior I was observing) I used regular scotch tape, rubbed the bee gently against a small piece of scotch tape (technically, "magic transparent" tape which can be written on) to produce a pollen smear, released the bee, and stuck the piece of tape to a microscope slide. I wrote the ID of the bee and the date and time on the piece of tape in pencil. The pollen was viewed by flipping the slide over. These samples were untreated, and that has drawbacks, but it took less than a minute to gather a sample, from catching the bee to having the sample mounted and labeled.

      In both cases, some reference images or samples are needed, using pollen grains that have been *similarly untreated* (no acetolysis). Perhaps things have changed since I did this work (back in the 1980's), but I found there to be very few publications with SEM photos of raw pollen grains, and there was (and probably still is) absolutely nothing published showing raw pollen under a light microscope. In the former case, I ended up with many unidentifiable pollen types, but for my purposes it was still enough to know whether a given bee was foraging on multiple pollen sources or not (i.e., I had a very specific question, and knowing the plant ID would've been great, but not essential for those samples). In the latter case, I systematically went around in the habitat in question and took samples of pollen directly from the anthers of all the flowering plants in bloom within about 100 meters of the nest site to create a reference collection. This actually proved to be very effective, allowing me to identify the source of over 80% of the collected samples with an extremely minimal amount of time, energy, or expense - OR disruption of the behaviors I was observing (most females would, after a short interval, return to their nest, deposit the pollen load from which I had removed a smear, and then resume foraging).

      I haven't stayed abreast of recent advances, so can't speak as to how comparable my solution is to the methods used by others. I will note that - out of curiosity - I just pulled out my slides and looked at them under a scope, and aside from strong fading of the color, they look pretty much the same as they did nearly 30 years ago when I collected them. Scotch tape is about as low-tech as one can get, and it looks pretty good as a research tool. ;-)

      Peace,
    • John Mola
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 19, 2013
        I just wanted to back up a point Doug made: You only need a technique as detailed as the question you're asking. For me, I was going to avoid acetolysis but found it difficult to determine between Rubus and Malus pollens otherwise. If it had been simple to do that, or if I was asking a different question, it would have been fine to view the pollen untreated.

        Yes, acetolysis is rather time consuming and uses nasty chemicals, so if you can still make positive IDs without it, then go for it!

        On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 9:42 AM, Doug Yanega <dyanega@...> wrote:

[...]

        JohnMMola@...

      • Linda Newstrom
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 20, 2013

        Hi Laura

        We struggled with not wanting to take the time and expense to do acetolysis to identify pollen for our project (www.treesforbeesnz.org ).

        We are investigating the nitrogen content of pollen from bee-collected pollen pellets and have found that to get accurate identifications

        we really had to do acetolysis and what a difference it makes.

        But our project was focused on the pollen from pellets not a few grains on the honey bees.

        In any case, to identify unknown pollen a reference collection is best.

        We are creating a reference collection based on both the acetolysed pollen and a slide made of unacetolysed pollen from fresh or frozen pollen stained in fuchsin jelly

        from the flowers and matching them to the acetolysed pollen from the bee pellets for confirmation of identity of the pollen.

        The unacetolysed counterparts from the flowers show us how far we can go with not acetolysing in terms of making accurate identifications

        Depends on the number of species and size of location you are dealing with.

        When it is impractical to do acetolysis we have a reference collection with both views.

        We solved the practicality problem by partnering up with a palynologist, Ian Raine,  at GNS Science, for identification of the pollen.

        The exchange of services and samples has been a win –win that serves both of our interests.

        See attached.

        Thanks

        Linda Newstrom-Lloyd

        --
        Doug Yanega      Dept. of Entomology       Entomology Research Museum
        Univ. of California, Riverside, CA 92521-0314     skype: dyanega

        John Mola
        JohnMMola@...

      • Colin Phifer
        Message 4 of 16 , Aug 20, 2013
          Another suggestion: you can now sequence the DNA for pollen ID. Here's an abstract from "Pollen foraging behaviour of solitary Hawaiian bees revealed through molecular pollen analysis" by Erin Wilson et al, published in Molecular Ecology vol 19 issue 21 pp  4428.

          "Obtaining quantitative information concerning pollinator behaviour has become a primary objective of pollination studies, but methodological limitations hinder progress towards this goal. Here, we use molecular genetic methods in an ecological context to demonstrate that endemic Hawaiian Hylaeus bees (Hymenoptera: Colletidae) selectively collect pollen from native plant species in Haleakala and Hawaii Volcanoes National Parks. We identified pollen DNA from the crops (internal storage organs) of 21 Hylaeusspecimens stored in ethanol for up to 3 years. Genetic analyses reveal high fidelity in pollen foraging despite the availability of pollen from multiple plant species present at each study site. At high elevations in Haleakala, pollen was available from more than 12 species of flowering plants, but Hawaiian silversword (Argyroxiphium sandwicense subsp. macrocephalum) comprised 86% of all pollen samples removed from bee crops. At lower elevations in both parks, we only detected pukiawe (Leptecophylla (Styphelia) tameiameiae) pollen inHylaeus crops despite the presence of other plant species in flower during our study. Furthermore, 100% of Hylaeus crops from which we successfully identified pollen contained native plant pollen. The molecular approaches developed in this study provide species-level information about floral visitation of Hawaiian Hylaeus that does not require specialized palynological expertise needed for high-throughput visual pollen identification. Building upon this approach, future studies can thus develop appropriate and customized criteria for assessing mixed pollen loads from a broader range of sources and from other global regions."

          I haven't tried this myself but it sounds very promising depending on your budget and timeline.

          Colin Phifer, PhD Student
          School of Forest Resources & Environmental Science
          Michigan Tech University
          1400 Townsend Drive
          Houghton, MI 49931-1295
          Phone: (808)-315-2830
          Email: ccphifer@...

          Message 5 of 16 , Aug 21, 2013
            The paper shows the method works but it seems like methodological overkill.  I would think one could distinguish silversword (Asteraceae) and pukiawe (Ericaceae) pollen by much simpler and cheaper methods than DNA analysis.  It is also not clear if this method gives quantitative results which is what one needs for diet analysis (not just presence or absence of various items).

            best

            Jack

            Message 6 of 16 , Aug 21, 2013
              Jack:

              It's all relative.  I still think that acetolysis is overkill (and often counter-productive) if all you want to do is identify pollen carried by the animal visiting the flower vs. where the insect visited before it visited the host flower.  In my own case, I never count a pollen "species" taken from an insect as "present" unless I find a minimum of 25 identical grains or polyads (Linum, Acacia etc.) on the same slide.  It's a trick I developed in Australia.  I put non-flower visiting flies and beetles in the same killing jar as my acacia-visiting insects and counted the number of solitary grains the non-visitors carried due to contamination in the same jar.  The only "deal-breaker" should be the presence of a pollinarium (orchid or asclepioid) provided you can find viscidium or corpusculum still attached to the insect.

              Of course, comparing pollen DNA extracted from the bee's crop seems a bit much but consider the future possibilities if the technology can be tweaked.  Eventually, it may tell you how many different trees (genotypes) of the same species were visited by the same bee before it was captured.  Based on another Australian project I noticed that some pollen-swallowing colletids invariably regurgitated their harvest if you killed them with fumes of ether or ethyl acetate.  Crop-derived grains are often a bit "chewed up" but are still identifiable following staining with Calberla's fluid.

              "What are you doing, Professor?"

              "I'm staining bee vomit."

              "Oh... that's nice, dear."  (It's always funnier with an Australian accent).

              Peter

              Message 7 of 16 , Aug 21, 2013
                I will be trying to identify pollen from scopae of Melissodes. I am
                applying for a grant to help pay for ITS sequencing for the pollen. With
                the DNA you can measure genetic distance between host species which may be
                a good index of polylecty. If I don't get the grant, it is back to slides
                which is more time consuming, but cheaper, and less accurate (especially
                within Asteraceae). My biggest disadvantage is that I don't have a local
                library of ITS sequences since Melissodes' range is the New World. I will
                have to depend on genbank for sequence identification. I think we are
                getting to the point where there is enough available that this type of
                barcoding is possible. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks,
                Karen

              • T'ai Roulston
                Message 8 of 16 , Aug 21, 2013
                  Karen:

                  I'm interested in knowing how you'll handle the quantitative question that Jack brought up. With Melissodes you should get a lot of unifloral pollen loads but are you going to examine pollen loads with a microscope to know the relative amounts collected when you hit mixed loads? Or are there good molecular protocols to handle this now?

                  If you are still interested in Melissodes specimens, I could provide a few eastern ones.

                  T'ai
                  On Aug 21, 2013, at 5:46 PM, Karen W. Wright wrote:

> [...]

                  > "chewed up" but are still identifiable following staining with Calberla's
                  > fluid.
                  >
                  > "What are you doing, Professor?"
                  >
                  > "I'm staining bee vomit."
                  >
                  > "Oh... that's nice, dear." (It's always funnier with an Australian
                  > accent).
                  >
                  > Peter
                  >

                  > On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 2:39 PM, Jack Neff <jlnatctmi@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> **
                  >>

                  >> The paper shows the method works but it seems like methodological
                  >> overkill. I would think one could distinguish silversword (Asteraceae)
                  >> and
                  >> pukiawe (Ericaceae) pollen by much simpler and cheaper methods than DNA
                  >> analysis. It is also not clear if this method gives quantitative
                  >> results
                  >> which is what one needs for diet analysis (not just presence or absence

                  Curator, State Arboretum of Virginia
                  Research Assoc. Prof., Dept of Envi. Sci.
                  University of Virginia

                • Brosi, Berry J
                  Message 9 of 16 , Aug 22, 2013

                    Hi all,

                    The Wilson et al. paper does not give a protocol for sequencing mixed pollen loads from bees.  It can only return one sequence.  Thus, it will give you a (single) sequence if there is a single pollen type in a pollen load, or a single sequence with some "indeterminate" base pair reads if there is a mixed pollen load with one species really dominating, or will return nothing if you have a very diverse pollen load (or if there is just a sequencing error!).  Such an analysis can work passably (marginally?) in a plant-species-poor area, especially when working with pollinators that are likely to visit a limited subset of plants, e.g. the Hawaiian Hylaeus that Wilson et al. studied.  But it is unlikely to work well in most other systems, e.g. which will have greater plant species richness and pollinators that are likely to visit multiple plant species.

                    In addition, information on pollen quantities in a pollen load *cannot* be determined with molecular analyses currently.  DNA barcoding methods use sequences on organellar genomes (chloroplast, ribosome, etc.) because they are less subject to recombination than nuclear markers.  Copy number of organellar genomes is known to vary considerably—I don't know the specifics but I believe we are talking orders of magnitude—in pollen of different plant taxa, so even if one were to use quantitative PCR, etc., having greater relative quantities of PCR product of pollen from plant species A versus pollen of plant species B would not even necessarily tell you that species A has more pollen grains than B in your sample.

                    Finally, unfortunately for most areas, there is very limited coverage of DNA barcoding markers for plants on GenBank, with the exception of a few areas that have been intensively studied for exactly that purpose.

                    cheers,
                    Berry

                    Berry J. Brosi, Ph.D.
                    Assistant Professor
                    Department of Environmental Studies
                    Emory University
                    http://www.envs.emory.edu/faculty/brosi/brosilab/home.html

                    prohibited.

                    Message 10 of 16 , Aug 23, 2013
                      Dear Berry:

                      Hmmmm.  I'll bet it would work very nicely for pollinia carried by bees, though.  Each pollinium consists exclusively of pollen from one flower.  Some orchid pollinaria of the Neotropics can be identified to genus on the basis of morphology and where it is deposited on the bee's body.  The analyst knows he/she is removing pollen of Stanhopea but may not know which Stanhopea spp.  You technique will answer that question.

                      Likewise, this might also be applied to milkweeds (Asclepias) and their allies.  They also produce pollinaria and, based many past studies, a bee may visit more than one Asclepias spp. in bloom during the same foraging bout.  Pollinaria of milkweeds are hard to identify once they leave the flower, and different Asclepias app. deposit the pollinaria on the same bee legs, so your analysis would make it possible to find out whether the six pollinaria on the same bee belonged to the same species.  Of course, it would be best to test each pollinarium one at a time...right?

                      Peter

                      Peter

                       wrote:

> [...]

                      > "chewed up" but are still identifiable following staining with Calberla's
                      > fluid.
                      >
                      > "What are you doing, Professor?"
                      >
                      > "I'm staining bee vomit."
                      >
                      > "Oh... that's nice, dear." (It's always funnier with an Australian
                      > accent).
                      >
                      > Peter
                      >

                      > On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 2:39 PM, Jack Neff <jlnatctmi@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> **
                      >>

                      >> The paper shows the method works but it seems like methodological
                      >> overkill. I would think one could distinguish silversword (Asteraceae)
                      >> and
                      >> pukiawe (Ericaceae) pollen by much simpler and cheaper methods than DNA
                      >> analysis. It is also not clear if this method gives quantitative
                      >> results
                      >> which is what one needs for diet analysis (not just presence or absence

                    • Berry Brosi
                      Message 11 of 16 , Aug 23, 2013

                        I agree, it should work quite well for pollinia, and yes, if following the Wilson et al. protocol each pollinium should be analyzed separately.  The issue that we don't have good coverage of plants in terms of representation in GenBank remains, and is likely particularly acute for tropical orchids.

                         wrote:

> [...]

                        > "chewed up" but are still identifiable following staining with Calberla's
                        > fluid.
                        >
                        > "What are you doing, Professor?"
                        >
                        > "I'm staining bee vomit."
                        >
                        > "Oh... that's nice, dear." (It's always funnier with an Australian
                        > accent).
                        >
                        > Peter
                        >

                        > On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 2:39 PM, Jack Neff <jlnatctmi@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> **
                        >>

                        >> The paper shows the method works but it seems like methodological
                        >> overkill. I would think one could distinguish silversword (Asteraceae)
                        >> and
                        >> pukiawe (Ericaceae) pollen by much simpler and cheaper methods than DNA
                        >> analysis. It is also not clear if this method gives quantitative
                        >> results
                        >> which is what one needs for diet analysis (not just presence or absence

                      • Elliott
                        Message 12 of 16 , Aug 23, 2013
                          Hello all,
                          Very interesting thread! I love it!
                          Has anyone used Rex Sawyer's "Pollen Identification for Beekeepers"? I have ordered it and and I am not sure how practical or applicable it is. Very nice piece of work though, but I am still floundering and tiring to identify what I am looking at that I have collected.

                          Also, has anyone looked at this online book: An introduction to Pollen Analysis? Here is it's link: http://archive.org/details/introductiontopo029798mbp

                          Cheers,
                          EF